PDA

View Full Version : Background renderer...

Aselert
10-16-2013, 03:44 PM
The background renderer still cause me problems... :mad:
In fact, sometimes -I don't know why- it don't want to run correctly and after a short list of renders I have the message: "Connection with the Background Rendering was unexpectedly lost".

You will say me "don't use the Background rendering" cool but in case of animation, I don't have any choice: it's Background renderer only...

So... I'm stuck by this problem. There is nothing special, I want to render a very short (4s) animation.

My config is:

Double GTX 580 3gb version
I7 2700K
SSD space rest: 24,7Go
32Go RAM
My .bif file have: 10M polygons and 269 Mo (In fact, it doesn't work with other files, more or less same size)
My version: 2012.6 (yes no 2014 because I need the alpha in a lighting texture...)

andy
10-16-2013, 05:13 PM
The Only way I have ever been able to fix this is to completely uninstall Bunkspeed, which they have made to be an incredibly difficult task. Make sure there's no sign of bunkspeed in the firewall settings. Then go through the registry, remove every trace of bunkspeed i can possibly find. Oh, and there will be a Ton if you haven't done it in a while. I've had over 10 gigs of junk that bunkspeed never removed. And it wasn't all in one place.
You'll have wanted to restart a few times in there after each step as well.
Then install it again. Run background render, and check All the boxes when the windows firewall pops up. If you don't do it immediately, you might as well start the whole process over again.

You can try to get the settings right in the firewall settings, but I've never gotten them to fix anything. That's the only way I've gotten it fixed.

warning: it's possible this solution fixes it with some basic fix and the extra stuff is coincidence. Also poking around the registry and deleting things can be pretty damaging if you accidentally mess up the wrong one.

Aselert
10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Andy thank you very much for this help. I'll look in that direction. But I think it's crazy ... Backround renderer is completely useless except create this kind of inconvenience.

If it is made ​​to continue working in the background when the rendering is on, it's totally unrealistic to me. Because personally, during rendering, my computer (with or without Background) is totally unusable. The only solution found is the dual graphic card: one for display and one for the calculation.

Anyway I'll have to reinstall, nice... I'll let you know.

andy
10-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Like I said, you Might not have to. But that's the only sure way I know of to get it to work. I've stopped using background render. It is extremely rare that I do only one render that takes longer than a coffee break. So I always just render real-time and take a quick break, or use the queue with my many images. Generally I'll submit renders with a couple lighting options that I may combine with photoshop or after effects, render up a selection pass of some sort (there's always something that needs some sort of tweak down the road), and I may render it in layers if I plan on simulating depth of field later. But that's pretty involved because you have to render the other products as faded to get that to look right. Then do a shadow pass of each individually if you can't select them apart.
Each project is different and requires multiple renders for the final shot. It's just like product photography. Stylized shots often get taken in 1 shot, but most get a few dozen shots, then composite together because the client Always changes their mind. And they say stupid things like, "can you make that brighter, but keep it dark? But not more contrast?" In other words, "I have no idea what I want, but I know I want it different, so give me options."

I've got all of our machines running pretty smoothly at the moment. So hopefully an update doesn't mess anything up soon. Good luck

Aselert
10-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Andy, I see quite what you want to talk with customers aha!

But, I've just reinstalled, it worked well so far until today, damn it again ...
So I'll have to reinstall everything yet again ... :mad:

I do not understand why it goes at once?! Like: "Oh this morning, I don't want!"

There is not a thing to do as with palette disappears sometimes? Like go to App Data and delete or add something? :confused:
Because there is really annoying, I need to launch an animation and I already know it will not be possible because I can ONLY render with background. :mad:
One thing I noticed, if the team was to be addressed is that if "Close bunkpseed, It Will Dramatically Improve performance etc etc" does not appear to start rendering, the renderer in background going to let go a moment with a crash message.

andy
10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Does your queue work though? Because that will work with animations as well. And for Some crazy reason, the queue sometimes works even when background doesn't.
Also, wow, it must be crazy difficult for you to get any support being in France. I thought it was difficult for me because of timing not lining up well being on eastern time. 9 hours makes it pretty difficult. I at least have a 2 hour window.

Aselert
10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks andy, again. Yes, I must anticipate a little bit! ;)

Aselert
10-23-2013, 05:32 PM
In fact, if it's a Windows Firewall problem (like i had with my antivirus Avast during every BS installation) I don't know how to explain to them:
"Bunkspeed is not your enemy, it's a very friendly and cute program without infected agent, please let him come and work quietly" :D

HOW?

chinogam
12-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Have you guys found a solution yet?

Just yesterday (in the eve of a deadline) the AVG decided to flip on me and made background rendering impossible. Either it crashes or it delivers the "uops, something went wrong" message.

I can't render any passes without the background renderer nor can I exceed 4000px wide in output.

I'm baffled that a problem like this can arise so easily, considering Bunkspeed PRO Suite is a professional tool.

Is reinstalling bunkspeed the only option? even then, is it sure to work again?

Thanks in advance guys.

Aselert
12-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Indeed, this choice to have a Background renderer on/off is a real problem. I have the same for too long... This is totally random.

Chinogam, I can offer you to calculate your render if you send me your .bif, if it could help.

chinogam
12-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Aselert, thanks for the offer! The work was delivered yesterday in low res. (4000px max).

However, this problem is far from being solved. I will attempt to reinstall PRO Suite. Hope this works. If not, It would be nice if some of our good friends from Bunkspeed proposed some kind of solution.

Lets keep in touch guys!

chinogam
12-04-2013, 06:39 PM
How about uninstalling the antivirus? is it an antivirus problem or a windows firewall problem?

david.randle
12-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Hi Guys -

We appreciate the passion in this thread but there isn't any "magic solution" we can give at this time. If a reinstall does indeed "fix" this, its because the first time you perform an offline render, you need to give the firewall access to allow TCP communication between offline render and the Bunkspeed product. Our best guess is that the firewall/antivirus rules are changing after a certain amount of time, thereby causing offline render to be blocked again. I'm guessing that there must be a way to grant permanent and exclusive access to a certain software in the firewall/antivirus settings but maybe not.

chinogam
12-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Well....get this.

I just got the last update. Installed it. Upon trying the first background render a windows firewall message popped up (I allowed access). Right after that the antivirus kicked in with an alert (I allowed access again). And done!

I'm rendering in the background again! (apparently with an update you "reset" the faulty settings....good to know right??'

david.randle
12-10-2013, 04:07 AM
Well that's good to know, but if my theory is correct, at some point in the not too distant future, your firewall or antivirus program is going to reset and trigger offline render to be blocked again. I guess all we can hope for is that we release an update before that happens to you ;-)

chinogam
12-10-2013, 07:38 PM
So there is no real solution for this problem? (short of getting rid of the antivirus and the firewall)

david.randle
12-11-2013, 01:20 AM
We have plenty of customers who run antivirus and firewall programs that arn't having the same issues so i'm inclined to say that there is a solution without anything dramatic. I have a feeling there must be a setting or settings that need to be adjusted in either your firewall program OR antivirus that causes it to reset its rules every so often. You may want to try contacting them...

chinogam
12-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, Dave I'll dig into it and see what I can find.

Aselert
06-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Correlative issue, for a while, the Background Renderer is unstable.

I think it is largely responsible for the changing mode from GPU to CPU:
For a long render, it is common that even with clicking "GPU only" on the type of rendering, it will eventually be calculated by the CPU, after a time.
And, even on a simple configuration (1 CPU, 1GPU).
This observation is especially true when choosing a type of rendering that ONLYcan be compute by the Background Renderer, eg "Render All Cameras", or "Animation" etc.

And that's really problematic :/