PDA

View Full Version : spun metal effect

jaywils
12-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know how to create an circular spun aluminum finish in Shot Pro?

Drakenator
12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Can you post an example image to help describe the target?

Otherwise, a general answer would be - you can use an anisotropic material with the texture patterns that you are looking for.

Downloading any of the brushed materials and swapping out the textures might be a good starting point as well.

andy
12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
You can always use actual bump to it, but a warning....your texture has to be HUGE if you are trying to make some small segments.

There is one other trick, but you may have to use your modeling software, and it's not perfect. Change your mesh Pretty darn high. Then add a spherical map (even if your surface is flat, especially actually). Move the spherical map and maybe flatten it some, so that your part ends up All in the top hemisphere. That should be good enough. Now use straight lines as a texture. If they all point to the middle, rotate the texture 90 degrees. Now if you want thinner or thicker lines, just raise the tiling.

The downside to this? You never really get a clean middle unless you go crazy on the mesh. This basically bends the mesh's UV's to fit the sphere, which is why it wraps nicely. But it's looks somewhat geometric in the middle.

I haven't tried that inside Shot, so someone let me know if it works. Maybe I'll have time to try it out tomorrow. I'd like to know as well. If I get it to work I'll post up the BIP.

farmer.j
12-08-2011, 02:57 AM
I recently wanted to achieve the same effect for a new wheel design, I will have to post the render soon... anyway I used the default disc brake material, changed the material type but kept the bump map. I figured it was a shot in the dark, no pun intended, however the result was exactly what I was looking for.

david.randle
12-08-2011, 06:47 AM
I would suggest something along the lines of what farmer.j did....you can just use our default brushed aluminum or stainless steel from the material library and instead of planar mapping it onto your surface, radial map it. this will give it the spun effect vs the horizontal or vertical brushed effect.

andy
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
So I tried out the mapping trick in Shot and it works. I decided to share the file for those who want to see how it's acheived. Note how many polys? For such a simple model, that's a bit high. But that's what it takes.
The upside to this you might ask? You can simply change the tiling of the straight map. Replace it with a brushed pattern perhaps? It's Much easier to adjust than something that's already radial using a planar map. Plus, notice you can have it move down the sides IF it's a cylindar like shape. Notice on the box shape the map will bend a little on the sides. This is because it's a spherical projection.

Other than using a high mesh, all the texture mapping was done in shot.
For creating the mesh, I used Rhino. Zero out all your settings, adjust the maximum distance to edge setting until it's the shape you want, then adjust maximum edge length till it's a fairly dense mesh. How dense? Well do some experimenting. But I've found the best practice is to bring your model to mostly fill your screen, then adjust it so you can still see the mesh lines. If you can't, it's too dense. But otherwise you want to push it pretty far. If you don't, the center will look like it has tesslation problems.

Here is the bunkspeed file (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30098323/SpunMetal.7z). I'm not going to keep it up forever, so if you come back a year later asking for it, sorry.
Don't have 7zip? Get it. It's the best zipping software ever, and it's free even to use at work. (most are not)

And here are the results. Notice some of the curves look backwords? Get close enough, or render high enough, and that's not really how it is. That's just the moire pattern doing it's thing.
Sorry the image is big for the forum. Most have some sort of resize option. This forum does not.

So is this the type you're going for, or are you working toward a circular offset sort of like they are doing with plaster? If it's that, then you have no choice but to planar map it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30098323/SpunMetal.jpg

jaywils
12-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for all the comments and input but given the complexity, as it is now, I think it would be easier to do it in Photoshop as a post production detail. But, given that this is a very common design detail, it would be great if Bunkspeed could work their magic and make it materials effect.

david.randle
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Seriously? I would find it much more difficult to get a realistic effect in Photoshop. How much easier can we make it? Literally go to our library, apply brushed aluminum or brushed stainless steel to the part that you want spun, then under the material, change the mapping type to "radial". Done.

The way andy did it in his example is fine...its more advanced but you can get just as good as an effect from the steps i described above.

If you have suggestion on HOW we can make it easier i'm all ears...

Thanks

jaywils
12-11-2011, 01:17 AM
ok, then I'm missing something. I created a simple cylinder and applied a brushed aluminum effect. I then went to material:texture maping: radial. It had an effect but it wasn't radial. I tried changing the "manipulate texture" but nothing I did gave me a radial effect. What am i doing wrong?

david.randle
12-11-2011, 03:29 AM
I'll put up some images of the workflow on monday.

andy
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Jaywils, did your lines all go to the center? If so, your map just needs to be rotated 90 degrees.

The reason I prefer to use a spherical map is that radial only projects in 2D. So for something like a cylindar, it doesn't work. It will only be radial on the top, where you would want the texture around the sides as well.
Also, it appears you get a similar problem with tesselation. I created a cylidar, inside of Shot, and applied a radial mapping. It was definitely radial mapping, but it looked terrible.

Also, if you want a spun metal look, then brushed metal is the wrong material. That will give you a radial brush look. Spun metal, the circles will go all the way around and are much more crisp. Spun metal is much more common on smaller plastic knobs that are painted to look like chrome. Radial Brushed doesn't give as much of a refined look.

david.randle
12-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Here is a screenshot of what i did. Again, this is the default "Brushed Aluminum" material from our library (I adjusted the repeat because of the model i was using), simply mapped using a radial projection. You can see the effect specifically in the center cap of the rim.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/6506823417_ae5d56b75f_b.jpg

andy
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Screenshot isn't showing.

david.randle
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
You must be using IE....We still don't know why but the attachment system just isn't playing nicely with IE.

andy
12-13-2011, 07:22 PM
nope, firefox. And cleared cache this morning. My image shows up, yours doesn't.
Are you guys testing the latest versions? I didn't use the attachment feature when I did mine. I hosted it somewhere else and used a link. That images shows up in both IE and firefox. I don't have chrome on this system to test.

JohnG
12-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm using Google Chrome I don't see the attachment either.

david.randle
12-13-2011, 07:59 PM
This is really strange....i'm using both Chrome and Firefox and it shows up just fine....i used the built in attachment system. Had a problem in IE. I'm going to edit the post and host is somewhere else to see if you guys see it.

JohnG
12-14-2011, 08:39 AM
I can see it now.