PDA

View Full Version : How can I do this? The impossible decal.

chinogam
02-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Hi guys, I'm trying to do this:

The way I did it is far from ideal: I first split the geometry in Rhino. Once in PRO Suite, I assign the metallic material to the base, duplicate it and assign it (with a darker color) to the letter A. I have to manually sync the tesselation on the bump map so they fit together. Obnoxious and slow.

Only then can I have a "decal" (of course this isn't a decal) that mantains bump map and IOR features of the base material. (Cause decals are just matte and cover the bumpmap of the base material when applied. This is not good enough!).

So, is there any other (simpler) way to do this?

Maybe a 80% opacity PNG decal? Here goes my shot at it:

100%, 80%, 50% Opacity Decals. Gets me close....but not quite there. I need more contrast. (The kind of contrast in the first image)

What about multi layered materials? I'm struggling with opacity regarding this kind of material. Must the top layer always be some kind of transparent film in orden to the bottom layer to be visible? I'm kind of new at this particular kind of material and I don't remember any substantial revelations in the inicial 2014 Release Webinar. (Maybe a multi layer material webinar would be a good idea...)

Anyways, any information regarding this would be stupendous.
I'm trying something new and exciting and I'm starting to hit the boundaries of my PRO Suite knowledge here...

Need your help guys! :cool:

amoncur
02-10-2014, 04:41 AM
Can you just build it into the CAD model? I'm only familiar with SolidWorks commands, but would a split surface command in SW defining the text work?

chinogam
02-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes, I can split the geometry (in fact that's what I did in the first image). The problem with that is that I have to manually sync the tiling on the bump map, diffuse and specular on the Letter A material for it to coincide with the outside material.
This is really slow and it doesn't look perfect most of the times.

For now I think a mid opacity decal might be the best solution...it doesn't mess with the base material so much, but still doesn't give much contrast.