PDA

View Full Version : What are your work arounds for Solid Works importing?

scout144
04-03-2014, 03:20 AM
I am wondering what methods people are use to import geometry from solid works. My Bunkspeed version apparently will not import Solidworks 2014 models it comes up with a missing geometry error either through the plug in or through the import feature. I was wondering since I know this this is a common issue what others are doing to work around this? I have tried importing as a step but merging all the surfaces back together gets really tiring.

B

Mar10
04-03-2014, 03:02 PM
I run into this issue every year with the SW upgrade. Sadly the Step file format is the best option I have found. STEP AP214 seems to work better than STEP AP203 for me. When importing into Pro I make sure to group by material. Its not perfect and still requires a significant amount of cleanup after importing but it is the best way I have seen.

If you contact Bunkspeed support they will point you to an updated SW plugin/exporter for Bunkspeed but honestly its not as good as the STEP AP214 work around. Everytime I tried it, my models imported as thousands of individual surfaces that needed individual materials applied.

If someone has found a better way, I would love to hear it as well.

haknslash
04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
I don't use SW but we have the same issue with native Inventor files.

My workarounds to getting the files into Bunkspeed are:
1. export to IGES from Inventor (or SW) and import directly into BS. I don't have good luck using STEP and that's IF I can even get a STEP to import without immediately crashing BS.
2. import native Inventor files into 3DS Max and then export to OBJ or FBX and then import into BS. This is the "long way around the pond" approach but it works 99% of the time when importing a IGES won't.

scout144
04-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah lately STEP files have been crashing Bunkspeed as well, I will give IGES import another try... Part of me wishes i never upgrading my bunkspeed so that my original SW importer still worked

haknslash
04-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah lately STEP files have been crashing Bunkspeed as well, I will give IGES import another try... Part of me wishes i never upgrading my bunkspeed so that my original SW importer still worked

Look on the bright side. Bunkspeed was bought out by Dassault late last year so perhaps this may help you with importing in the future release(s). I hope it doesn't mean worse for non-SW users though lol. Who knows and we will just have to wait and see.

artem
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
I use the Solidworks .obj export macro (google it) and then I import the .obj into BS. Works great!

Mar10
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks artem! I don't typically use macros so it took a little trial and error but it seems to work pretty well. Looks like this will be significantly better than using STEP files.

thanks!

haknslash
04-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Anything would be better :)

I wished we could export to OBJ from Inventor :(

scout144
04-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Hmmm Ill try this macro/ obj export later tonight, does it work with all the current versions SW 2014 and current Bunkspeed? thanks for the tip

CadDood
04-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Check this thread here..

http://forum.bunkspeed.com/showthread.php?1175-Solidworks-2014-File-Import-Here-s-The-Fix-!