PDA

View Full Version : How does queue order work?

andy
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I just sent 4 jobs. *_selection was the last named file I sent, but it is the second or third file that rendered.
I thought it was a first come first serve sort of thing. Then I thought, maybe it's alphabetical? Nope
I also have *_silver and *_white. Whit is already done, and silver is currently rendering.

Anyone from Bunkspeed care to explain how it chooses the order? Is it by filesize or something obscure? It's not complexity either because the most basic is the selection with only 4 flat materials and no additional lights, but that was in the middle.

david.randle
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Here is what's happening:

The queue renders in a first come first serve fashion.
If a job encounters an issue, be it a timeout, or dropped frame etc. instead of banging its head on the wall, the queue will skip that job and move on to the next. It will then return to the incomplete job when the other have completed to try it again. This will result in the effect of jobs changing order.

This is likely happening because of a timeout. We realized that the timeout was a bit too quick in the shipping version and have since fixed it. You will see this issue less after the next release.

andy
12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
too quick? You're telling me! It seemed as if it had reordered everything before even rendering. I opened queue and they were already reordered.

At least I know some of it is resolved in the next one. I know you guys are working on being able to drag and drop move items also which would be nice. Submitting jobs with some sort of priority number would be nice too. This would have to be added to the render menu though. That way if I have enough renders I might send 20 today with a priority of 50 out of 100 (1 being highest) and tomorrow when only 8 are finished submit a few more higher priority jobs at 30 and it kicks those ones in front and start immediately.

david.randle
12-13-2011, 11:35 PM
One small correction...we are working on a way for you to elevate a job to be the next in line, not a way to reorder all jobs. With regard to submitting with priority, i'd narrow it down to "low, medium or high" priority as the batches, but, that's down the list far enough that you and i both have time to really think about it ;-)

andy
12-14-2011, 12:51 PM
bummer. I'd love full control over when things render. My list would probably even include editing the details of each render, like size, filetype, etc. Nothing worse that realizing you forgot to change the render size to what it's Suppose to be instead of what Shot forgot to remember from your last save. I'll assume that one is on "the list?"
Render settings really need to save and be recalled on file>open.