PDA

View Full Version : Have caustics been removed from final render panel in 2014.5?

haknslash
09-23-2014, 09:05 PM
It's missing for me...

JohnG
09-24-2014, 07:48 PM
As far as I can see the option to turn on caustics in the render panel is only available in the Pro Suite and up. So that means that as of now there are no caustics whatsoever in Bunkspeed Shot. So we can't get light to pass through Glass, Gems or any transparent or translucent plastics. This wasn't the case before the advanced dispersive caustics were added to iRay. The caustics may have been basic but at least we got light to pass through glass, now we can't.

I really hope Bunkspeed addresses this sooner rather than later because this really hampers the usefulness of Bunkspeed Shot.

haknslash
09-25-2014, 01:48 PM
I have Pro Suite and it's not in the advanced render tab like it previously was. I believe caustics requires photometric lights in order to work. The only way to get photometric lights now is to have "Zoom".

Here is the deal since I got a reply from Bunkspeed Support email. There is a new version of Shot they've added to their product line called "Zoom". Zoom is basically what Pro previously was prior to 2014.5. I'm a bit confused by it as well but since I'm on maintenance/subscription I am able to download Zoom. I have been using it since yesterday and to me it seems no different than what my Pro previously was before the update but I haven't really had a chance to dig into it since I have a deadline to meet on a current project.

Here is a comparison list I received from Bunkspeed Support of the different features for each product line tha:

SHOT, PRO, DRIVE features
PRO, ZOOM, & DRIVE-only features
ZOOM & DRIVE-only features
DRIVE-only features

Rendering Features
Interactive wysiwyg raytracing using NVIDIA iray 2013 SP1
Preview raster rendering mode
Fast biased raytracing mode
Accurate unbiased raytracing mode
Automatic "Blending" between Preview, Fast and Accurate render modes
HDRI lighting
Global illumination
Ambient occlusion
Screenspace shadows
Final gathering
Image based lighting/shadows
Color bleeding
Environment based reflections
Radiosity
Refraction
Caustics
Light emission from geometry
Ground reflection roughness
Advanced (dispersive) caustics<-Notice it says this is a Pro, Zoom and Drive feature but photometric lights aren't included with Pro anymore. So this is typo IMO.
Rasterized baked lighting
Advanced (PRT) baked lighting
Rasterized accumulation

Input
Alias (WIRE)
3D PDF
3DXML
ACIS (SAT)
Solidworks (SLDPRT/SDLASM)
IGES
STEP
Collada (DAE)
Filmbox (FBX)
Animated Filmbox (FBX)
3D Studio Max (3DS)
Rhino (3DM)
Wavefront (OBJ)
SketchUp (SKP)
Maya (MB)
SolidEdge (ASM/PAR)
Autodesk (DWG/DXF)
Inventor (IPT/IAM)
Live Update from CAD

Output
Unlimited resolution offlinerendering
Alpha Channel
Early image termination forinline renderings
Threaded offline renderings
"JPG, BMP, PNG, TIFF, HDR and PSD output"
Built in image viewer tab
Render Profiles
Render all configurations
Render all cameras
Render Passes
Turntable rendering
Preview (raster) output
"Automatic movie (.mp4, .mkv, .flv) output"
Browser based VR output
Browser based Panoramic output

Scene Preparation
Auto-Paint
Direct manipulation of parts
Part splitter and part extractor
Group and reorganize parts inthe tree view
Model/Part reset and freeze
Formation tool
Simple vehicle wheel building
Part re-tessellation
Multiple model sets

haknslash
09-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Continued...

Materials
Scientifically accurate presetand adjustable materials
Fresnel reflections
Advanced absorption
Advanced transmittance
Advanced anisotropy with angle mapping
Texture, opacity, specular, bumpand normal mapping
Emissive Materials
Advanced materials: Subsurface, Thin Film, Backscatter
Flexible Local or Network basedfor sharing and assigning of assets
Sharable material definitionsaved to single file (.bmf)
Drag and drop materials onto object from desktop or any folder
In and out of app colorpicker/dropper
Save favorite colors
Texture and Decal support
Texturable and paintable decals
Layered decals
Controllable decal depth
Decal projection
Multiple part decals
Displacement Mapping

Animations
"Innovative""3D graph editor"" Ribbon"
Turntable Animations
Sun Study Animations
Keyframe animation of Models, Groups and Parts
Keyframe animation of Materials
Keyframe animation of Cameras
Keyframe animation of Environments
Keyframe animation of Lights
Vehicle Physics
AI driving path for vehicle physics
Real-time turntable

Camera Optics
F-Stop, Focal length, Field ofview and Perspective settings
Exchangeable Camera Files (.bcf)
Interactive Depth of field withfocal point selection
Multiple Cameras with individual aspect ratio and settings
Orthographic camera
Walk-around camera
Rule of Thirds Overlay
Photographic camera filters
Follow and aim cameras and objects
Real-time Camera Post Processing Options
Real world camera positioning
Motion blur
Region rendering
FBX camera export

Lighting
Lighting, Shadow and Reflectioncasting from HDRI
High Dynamic Range Image (HDRI)interaction and control
HDR Light Studio Live plugin
Prop creation for additionallight sources
Time of Day Lighting Model
Photometric Lights (Point, Spot and Directional)
Preview (raster) object reflections
Preview (raster) culling

Productivity
Highly optimized parallel architecture
Hybrid Based CPU & GPU
Near linear performance scale with added CPUs and GPUs
3D Connexion device support
Bunkspeed Cloud Community
Queue™: Rendering Manager
Boost™: Workload sharing
PowerBoost™: Network rendering compatibility
Configurations
Dual and orthographic viewports
4 live viewports

JohnG
09-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Well that sounds a bit confusing, I thought the Pro Suite still had the advanced Caustics but obviously not. I've tried the advanced caustics in the Pro Suite previously and they worked with emissives and HDRI's not just Photometric lights.
Also according to that list of features Shot has caustics, but it doesn't at least not in the 2014.5 version.

I have a test license for Zoom but haven't had time to try it out yet.

haknslash
09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
I agree I was confused as well. I haven't dug deep into Zoom but on the surface it doesn't seem different than the old Pro. I'm guessing this is some marketing decision 3DS is making to try and narrow in on specific customer needs? I just would of preferred we were kept informed more on the futurue and direction of the software like we used to be. It seems now that we have to rely on each other forum members for communication about the actual products or keep visiting the Bunkspeed home page, which I never do.

Strange you were able to have caustics work for you on emmissives or even an environment because I've never had them work unless they were physically based light sources from the photometric lights. See my old thread here http://forum.bunkspeed.com/showthread.php?1004-Shouldn-t-I-see-caustics. Are you sure you were seeing actual caustics and not just light spilling thru an object like emmissives do?

david.randle
09-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Hi all - I think you've all over-analyzed what could be a simple oversight or bug. The cuastics checkbox should be in all products and we will look into why it isn't showing up in some versions. Also, its likely that this checkbox will go away and caustics will be enabled by default again because iray got a massive performance gain with calculating caustics in a future version.

As far as the SHOT, PRO, ZOOM discussion...probably best for another thread but in short, SHOT is for still images, PRO is all of SHOT plus animation and a bunch of other features and ZOOM is all of PRO plus enhanced raster settings, baked lighting, presentation mode intended for realtime presentation usecases. DRIVE is an add-on for ZOOM that introduces the physics engine and driving capabilities for vehicles as well as other automotive design specific features. The core rendering capabilities are the same in all products. The products are largely differentiated by non-rendering specific features, workflow enhancements etc.

I hope that's clear for now.

haknslash
09-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks for clarifying David and glad to see it's just a bug on the caustics/Pro Suite issue.

JohnG
09-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Great so we should have caustics in all versions, thanks for clearing that up David.
So the question now is when will we get the caustics option back? Will we have to wait for a point release?

david.randle
09-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Yes, Once the cause of the issue is discovered and resolved, it will be available in a release. There is no scheduled release until our 2015 version estimated for early next year.

oiepent
12-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Thanks for clarifying David and glad to see it's just a bug on the caustics/Pro Suite issue.

okokoo
12-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Not that i use photometric lights alot but I lost them with my last Pro update?

haknslash
01-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Not that i use photometric lights alot but I lost them with my last Pro update?

It's because they removed them from Pro. You have to get Zoom now if you need photometric lights again.