PDA

View Full Version : The Emerald Garden

david.randle
12-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Great piece by Leon Carpenter, Bunkspeed Ambassador. Check out those great caustics on the ground plane!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6522465449_5365896cab_b.jpg

Aselert
12-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Very nice realization... I can not imagine the value of such a flower emerald in the real world! :)
Caustics on the ground are good, but I think there are ways to have more realism with a working texture (small defects) and color (a little too bright for my taste).

andy
12-19-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm guessing this image is more to show jewelers that Shot should be able to handle any amount of gems you throw at it, and not so much the realistic approach to an emrald flower. I think this looks pretty slick. I think it would be cool for things like this to have a watermark style bar at the bottom to include some render information, similar to what Vray does. Things like a few machine stats, poly count, resolution, render time, number of frames, etc.

Drakenator
12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Sorry Andy. This is a quick swipe of tghe crystal paint effects brush in Maya. I imported it, added a ground plane, the emerald mat from the library, swapped out the HDR and hit render. Labor time to render... about 3 minutes.

I rendered on a 5800 card. 1,500 passes in about an hour (don't remember exactly).

It was just a quick test after discovering the crystal brush.

andy
12-19-2011, 05:54 PM
there are quite a few slick paint effects brushes out there, even the included defaults are pretty slick. When I was in school I made a dude walking out of the vine brush. It looked like the swamp thing, so I added a limp.

MattBb
01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
This is really impressing! The color is intriguing an I think it looks really mysterious. Emerald Garden described it perfectly and somehow it reminds me of special flowers of a cave which you can order form a special flower delivery (http://www.serenataflowers.com/Flowers-delivered) for awesome decoration. It's really extraordinary and I like it a lot :) btw I'm impressed that you can find flaws, but well I'm not a pro. o.o