PDA

View Full Version : 1.56 IRAY rend error: Unable to allocate 6717792 bytes of device memory.

mpaz
12-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Hi there,
I get the error message "1.56 IRAY rend error: Unable to allocate 6717792 bytes of device memory" when I try to render a large file in GPU mode. The file will open in CPU mode but won't render in GPU mode.
My system specs are as follows:
2x Xeon X5650, Quadro FX 5800, 3x Tesla c2050, 24gb ECC reg, ssd raid 0.
Do I need more memory???
Can I set the GPUs to access more system memory?

Regards

Marios

david.randle
12-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Hi Marios -

your model is calling for 6.7 gigabytes of VRAM which isn't available on any card currently on the market. The usable VRAM on the cards in your system is 3GB. Unfortunately "adding more memory" isn't possible. The card with the most VRAM is a Quadro 6000 which has 6GB of VRAM. This should come close to handling your model but you'll need to thin down the geometry a little bit. Rendering on CPU will be just fine with your CPU's and system memory but will likely be 1/4 the speed.

mpaz
12-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. For this model I'm using some heavy materials. They are around 160-250 mb each. Will I be able to render it in GPU if I use lighter ones?

Regards

Marios

david.randle
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Wow!!! what size textures are you using on the materials?!?!? that's crazy! I'm sure it will help if you reduce the size of the textures significantly, but i'm not sure if that will be enough to be honest...Definitely worth a try though.

mpaz
12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I used some Arroway textures. On each material there are 3 textures, colour, reflectance and bump.
I removed all the heavy textures and had the same problem. So I guess its a polygon thing. Its a same though, not to be able to use the Teslas.
I'm new to bunkspeed so I'm playing around to see what I can do with it. I use solidworks and try to do some interior work with it.
Perhaps solidworks models are too heavy for bunkspeed or for interior renderings?

david.randle
12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
There is no way an interior should be anywhere close to 30 million polygons (unless it is EXTREMELY detailed). What resolution were the arroway textures you used?
Can you share a screenshot of this particular model so we can get a sense of what you're trying to push through our stuff?

Usually 3gb of VRAM is more than enough for interior/id projects. In fact, a lot of our car customer do full product car data sets of 8-12 million polygons on 3GB cards too....

mpaz
12-22-2011, 10:59 PM
The textures are around 9000x3000 pixels each.
I've attached a snapshot

Aselert
12-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Your Tesla(s) C2050 limit you anyway to 3GB, and I assume that your textures (9000x3000) are larger than your final rendering ... If so, it does not make sense to use such large. In any case, the 3D seems cool ;)

mpaz
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
I read in another thread the following:

"Also, the other thing you must be concerned with here is the generation of chip in the GPU. The 5800 is pre Fermi which makes it much slower than any Fermi based cards (all the new Quadro 4000, 5000, 6000 and Geforce GTX 400 and 500 series cars are all Fermi based). When mixing a non Fermi based card with Fermi based cards, our software will spend more energy trying to balance the workload between the imbalanced cards that it will hurt your performance more than if you were to just run the 3 590s."

So If I swap my 5800 with a 5000 or 6000 I'll see any real benefit?

david.randle
01-11-2012, 04:51 PM
hi mpaz - This is correct. You will likely see benefits from either of those cards. Probably about a 25% gain with the 5000 and a 50% gain with the 6000. (Just wild guesses as we havn't had a 5800 to do a comparison in almost two years ;-).

mpaz
01-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Will Bunkspeed run normally only on Teslas?

david.randle
01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes, it will up to 1920 x 1080. Teslas don't support resolutions higher than that. The reason it works is because we use DirectX not OpenGL. Other apps that require OpenGL will not run only on teslas....you need a "graphics" card as well. With this said, we still would recommend against an all tesla configuration. Your experience will be smoother having 1 Quadro in the system. Also, having a Quadro will let you take advantage of the Maximus technology which lets you operate Graphic apps only on the Quadro, but render on only the Teslas.

andy
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
I think most user data will fit in 3GB or less, so the GeForce 580 should be fine, and is actually faster than the tesla/quadro and at 1/4th of the price. Of course, If you want to run 4 graphics cards in one machine I'd probably head to the Quadro/Tesla route. PS, Quadro cards have better resale. If you want to stay current they don't last much more than 2 years.

Bunkspeed run normally? Not sure exactly what you are asking, but it'll run just fine on CPU which means you can reasonably do 32GB of memory without breaking the bank. It'll just render about 7 times slower, or you could spend some dough and get a dual processor 6 core machine and then it's only about twice as slow (comparing to a single card).

I would only go the CPU route if you are one of the few who are rendering HUGE and with an insane amount of data. And by insane amount of data I mean 3D data. Material sizes that large are bordering on outrageous. The Arroway textures are nice because they are large, but they aren't meant to be used at full size in Any rendering package. In an example like a close up of a piece of furniture, maybe close. Remember that if you only need a portion of the map in your tiling, you can crop the image first so you reduce the size of the map without resizing the total image. For things like wood, in most cases, you either only require a portion, or it's not the focus so you don't need a 40 megapixel image. Also things like specular map and bump map probably don't require as high of resolution.

In your image I would start off with your textures at around 1024sq. If you notice something isn't high enough quality, move to 2048. Still not high enough? Fine, go to 4096, but I would draw the line there. Starting closer to the bottom and moving up will keep your renderings going much faster. If it's something like your floor that will be tiled, then you can go even Smaller. Remember that would be 1024 per Tile that you're getting.

mpaz
01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I've attached the finished CPU renders of the scene.
The scene is actually around 3 million polygons.
So what could have made it unable to work in GPU mode?

david.randle
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I bet it was the texture sizes....a lot of large textures like you had will fill the VRAM on the card up much faster than you think, not leaving enough room for the 3 million polygons of geometry.

mpaz
01-13-2012, 11:10 PM
OK right...
But it happened again when I deleted all the materials from the scene. 3 milion polygons and no materials and it won't render in GPU.
Should I merge some models together so that I have less of them in the scene. Would that help?

david.randle
01-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Merging should make much of a difference. Is there any way you can send us your file so we can take a deeper look instead of continuing to guess? If so, please send to me directly david@bunkspeed.com.
Thanks

mpaz
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
oops it did work without the materials... I just had to resave...

I had already sent it to bmuhlbach@gmail.com via yousendit