PDA

View Full Version : Texture Issue

millerrh
12-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Seems like every time I try to add a texture to any model I make, there are at least a few spots that have artifacting or strange looking texture. Here's one example I ran into today. I'm trying to make a textured silver powder coat look here, but you'll see a stripe down the side of the box that is texture free. Why is this and how do I fix it?

Model created in Pro/E, exported as OBJ
Shot 2012
Texture is Box mapped

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/millerrh/texturemapping.jpg

JohnG
12-29-2011, 03:50 PM
This is most likely being caused by the box mapping itself. This gap is where two of the box edges come together.
Under the texture mapping in the material settings you'll see a 'Manipulate Texture' button if you click on this you'll see how the texture is being box mapped, you can rotate the box to try and hide this gap, but you can't get rid of it.

The mapping methods such as box, planar, sphere etc. are ok in most situations, but if you need 100% accuracy in how you're textures are positioned then you need to UV unwrap your model and apply the textures then choose UV mapping.

millerrh
12-30-2011, 03:36 PM
How does one UV unwrap the model?

systembolaget
01-01-2012, 11:14 AM
See the previous thread Texture mapping and you'll see that assigning UVs and then exporting OBJ don't really work in softwares like Alias, Pro/E, Catia, etc. As you will see from the thread, you can go through an intermediary software such as Rhino, but that's not what I'd call a seamless workflow. Rather than fiddling with UV mapping softwares, I'd see if you can rotate your solid projections like the cube in such way that the inevitable seams are out of sight - or just wield your clone stamp in Photoshop after rendering as you need to post-process your renderings there anyway.

@Bunkspeed: why is the bold markup in this forum actually rendering text even lighter than non-markedup text?

JohnG
01-02-2012, 10:25 AM
How does one UV unwrap the model?

You can UV unwrap with any of the main packages Max, Maya etc. I use Blender, however there is a learning curve if you haven't done this before.
In the example you posted its probably better if you simply move the texture to try and hide the seam as much as possible or retouch it out in Photoshop.