PDA

View Full Version : Animation render

JohnG
01-24-2012, 04:27 PM
When I render an animation it always renders in the background, is there a way to over ride this behaviour?
Rendering in the background takes an eternity!

david.randle
01-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi JohnG -

No, animations will always happen in the background. The inline render has no concept of incrementing frames. With that said, Background render should always be faster than inline (expect for the time to load the project). We recently discovered this as well:

So, i don't know how many passes you normally set for your renderings but, if you do few passes, then the problem is more obvious. Ultimately what was happening is that the inline render was doing either the same, half or quarter the amount of passes as background rendering, all depending on what pass your realtime render was at when submitting the job to render. This is why the background render appeared to be either the same amount of time (expected), twice as long, or even 4 times as long. Anyway....its fixed now, but what it means is that your inline renders will actually be correct now but take as long as your background renders were taking (since those have always been correct). Now, if your inline renders "looked ok" that means you can reduce the number of passes you're doing by half (because effectively, that's the result you've been getting without knowing ;-).

andy
01-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Oh, so I wasn't crazy in my testing when I found my background renders were taking 4x as long?

John, I was getting those results as well.

David, is this a new release that I missed or do we not have it yet? I'd love to have that fixed, at least for my pro license where we only use the queue (background only obviously)

JohnG
01-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for that explanation David, that makes sense because my background renders were taking four times as long for the same number of frames but they looked better. So if I want to render for 1000 frames the only way I can be guaranteed to get 1000 frames is to render in the background?

Generally I prefer the inline renderer because if I'm not happy with the result I can extend the render, I don't have this option with the background render, If I want another 500 passes I have to restart the render. Also the background renderer tends to be more unreliable compared to the inline renderer and will fail to start on quite a few occasions. The only way to be certain the background renderer will start is to render in CPU mode but this will make the render time even longer.

One thing I don't understand about the background renderer is the "loading project" at the start of the render. Surely the project is already loaded into the GPU or CPU memory when I launch Move?

andy
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
background render is about the same as opening another, separate, copy of your software with a bunch of the visual features turned off (which should be more efficient when rendering). So even if you have Move open already with that file cached, it's cached for That copy of Move. Rendering in background is a separate copy of the software, essentially, so that's why it has to load everything up again. That's also why you can close Bunkspeed after you start your render.

I agree about the 500 more frames thing. It would be nice to have a feature allowing you to keep a file open at the end of the render so you can preview the "final" render, but then have it still do more.

david.randle
01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Oh, so I wasn't crazy in my testing when I found my background renders were taking 4x as long?

John, I was getting those results as well.

David, is this a new release that I missed or do we not have it yet? I'd love to have that fixed, at least for my pro license where we only use the queue (background only obviously)

No, the build is not out yet. 2012.3 is coming very soon...

david.randle
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
@ andy and john G - We understand the benefit of inline rendering and are looking to reveal that functionality for background renders

Xandra
10-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Is it the "user.config" file located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Bunkspeed\Offlin eRenderer.exe_StrongName_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\1.0.0 .0?

Change the values in that file?

david.randle
10-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Xandra - What are you trying to accomplish? No values in that file should need to be edited by an end user.