PDA

View Full Version : Tips for how many passes to use in varying lighting scenarios

david.randle
01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
EASY: For shelled products where the camera is outside of the object being lit only with an hdri, 250 passes is usually sufficient...increase as necessary for example with matte white products. (example: a coffee maker, pen, car, etc. sitting in an hdri)

MEDIUM: For shelled products where the camera is inside the object being lit only with an hdri, i would also start at 2500 passes and go up from there as necessary. (example: car interior, aircraft interior, architectural interior)

DIFFICULT: For shelled products where the camera is outside of the object being within a geometric environment only being lit by emissives, i would start at 2500 passes. depending on the light complexity, it may even take more. (example: a car in a physical scene lit with emissives, a product being lit exclusively with emissive panels, etc.)

VERY DIFFICULT: For shelled products where the camera is inside the object being lit within a geometric environment only being lit by emissives, i would start at 5000 and go up from there as necessary (example: inside a car that is inside a physical environment only being lit with emissive lights)

Note: backplates present in any of this conditions does not affect the required number of passes

andy
01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the tips. It's nice to know a good starting point for some of those things.

Another tip is if you are using one of the more difficult scenes, change the size of your working window way down so you don't have to wait so long for your previews. Since those more difficult scenes take longer to converge, you'll be planning on waiting longer.