PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about rendering a solidworks model...

Sach
01-27-2012, 01:14 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/ifxutv.jpg

I'm trying to render a gunmetal material, but i'm not getting the nice little highlights on the edges. I'm wondering if its the environment lighting that I have set up or if its the translation between Solidworks into Bunkspeed Move.

Another thing that I would like to accomplish is creating a light pipe in that loop area around the bottom left of the image. Is there a way I could make it produce a halo? or would it be better to create that effect in photoshop?

david.randle
01-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Regarding the gunmetal material....i can see two possible improvements. First, the material looks quite rough (or maybe the bump map is too aggressive). Try reducing the roughness and/or reducing the bump height. The other problem looks geometry related...it doesn't look like there are radius's around all the edges. it looks like they are just sharp corners which won't pick up a highlight. this is harder to solve because it would require you to model radiuses.

As far as the pipe light question...the best thing to do would be to model a donut below the flat loop. Assign an emissive material to that donut and a frosted glass or plastic to the loop surface. if you want a "glow" just apply something subtle in photoshop so that it doesn't look artificial.

Hope this helps

Sach
02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/v9vz9.jpg

I think the rounds helped a bit, but I'm still working on trying to get the right lighting environment. Right now, I'm rendering this using the Chrome Studio environment, with the brightness set to 1.27 and the gamma set to .65. The rendering was done to the max quality and the size is 1920x1080 pixels.

What other types of environments would be good to render a dark metallic material? Are there any good reference examples? What would be a good rendering resolution?

Hehe....also I should note, the guys at the office thought the core77 thread drama was pretty funny!

david.randle
02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Hey, sorry about the delay...i just was your response here.
The edges look quite a bit better in the latest screenshot. Chrome studio is a good one for the object/look you're after. If you get too blurry of a studio it won't look shiny any more...it will look satin so i would avoid any of the soft/blurry environments. You may find that if you have Pro, adding a light in the scene may help. It will create a hotspot on each edge that faces the light.

I havn't checked back on the core77 thread so i'm not sure how that played out. Just wanted to show how unprofessional those guys are. (trust me...that kind of stuff happens all the time....they just don't get it).

Philemon
02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
On the topic of edges (sharp vs rounded) and how they render, Catia (V5R21 at least) has a nice material feature under the bump texture. It rounds all edges during the render to a specified radius. This really make renders more realistic (sharp edges are meant for knives and not many other parts) and avoids excessive filleting that is handled in the real world with a drawing note or manufacturing instruction. As a note, it does not slow render times any more or less than other bump methods do.

This comparison illustrates the effectiveness of Catia's rounded corners.

Still working on getting orange anodize right in Bunkspeed, but the shaft with machine marks and all is much better.