PDA

View Full Version : how to download Actual installer for multiple installs?

andy
02-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I downloaded a nice little 501KB installer.
It downloaded a few prerequisite files, no big deal since those can be different on each machine.

But now it's downloading a painfully slow 345MB file. I need to install this 16 more times!
I'm not concerned about my own time, but I would Really like to just have each person go grab a coffee while I install. When they get back, I'm done. Right now they have time to actually run to Starbucks down the road and have their coffee There, come back, and Then I'm done. *obvious exaggeration for added humor*

There's got to be a way to capture that file right? It's downloading it to somewhere. I searched, but couldn't find much. I think it deletes itself shortly after install. I found the log and some other files, but that's it.

Any way we can speed this up for those of us that are installing it for Other people? I do my best to keep them working quickly. If I'm downloading 345MB from the internet, I'd like to do it once, not 16times (which ends up being about 5.5GB)

jlowap
02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm also thinking the next time I need to re-install I bet you 10 my internet is down!!! ;)

JohnG
02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Also it installs itself to the C drive and doesn't give you a choice to change this, which is a bit annoying.

andy
02-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I agree with you on that one being annoying, but I had some stability issues in the past not installing everything in the default location. Same with 3dsMax and even MS Office.
It shouldn't be, but it's probably best to install all your applications to C anyway.

And James, you're internet will only be down if you have a rendering due right away.

I'm hoping they address this right away. If not, I'll definitely try harder to capture the install file next time. Our internet just isn't that fast.

JohnG
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
The first time I downloaded 2012.3 it did take a very long time 20-25 mins, but I just downloaded the update and it came down much faster, so perhaps the slow download was only temporary.
I have a 25mbs connection so I suppose it will take longer on slower connections.

andy
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think the updates are 359MB. Aren't they suppose to be only the changed portion? I thought that was the whole idea.

JohnG
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Maybe you're right, but it showed up as a 345mb download.

brad.cunningham
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi Andy,

First off, you are correct, updates do not cause a full re-download of the application it will simply download the modified files and patch them on your system. That is the big benefit to the new installer process.

As others have mentioned, we do not provide the ability to change the install location, this is by design so that we can ensure file integrity across updates and so that we have a mechanism to rollback versions if need be.

To your specific request about an offline installer, we do not have this ability currently. There has been discussion of providing a non auto updated version of our software for corporate scenarios where ClickOnce installation technology was prohibitive. However, we strongly recommend against this approach as it loses all of the updating functionality.

We currently don't intend to ship a non auto updated version of our products so unfortunately you will be required to install the application on each machine from our web servers.

We realize the initial download is painfully large and we are working to solve this issue in the near future. The size of the install is predominantly due to the size of the 3rd party plugin dll's that we ship. We are working with the plugin vendor to find ways to reduce the overall size of these files which should greatly shrink the overall size of the download. We are shooting for 100mb or less.

Thank you for the feedback, we always appreciate understanding our customers concerns.

andy
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, it's not a huge deal. I'll just let them know it takes about 40 minutes from start to finish and send instructions on the process. I don't like to do that though. I usually just install it for them, move aside, and let them get back to business.
You guys at least did a nice job of making the install fairly dummy proof.

I would have just rather download the file to a location, then when I run the installer, it could just ask me if I have the file already of if I would like to have it automatically download the latest version.

It works though. That's the most important thing.

brad.cunningham
02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
I am glad the installer is dummy proof for you. That was a major focus for us in the re-design of the install process. We wanted to fix a lot of the annoying parts of our previous installers.

There is a possibility, for corporate scenarios like you describe, that we could provide you with an auto updating installer version that you host on your internal network and then you manage the rate at which updates are applied. It would require a bit more technical overhead on your part but it would give you the ability to host the installer in house for much faster installs and give you the ability to control when updates are applied to your users.

If this process is of interest to you please contact use directly and we can discuss further.

Thanks

andy
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
No, thanks for offering though. I'd rather see you guys spend time on some higher priority fixes. Like you said, once I get them installed, hopefully we never have to do this again and all the users can do their own updates automatically.