PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized Aluminum

scampbel
02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
I need to whip up a render this morning for a galvanized part.... does someone have a mat already created for this that they would share or have the settings to emulate this???? I need to crank out these parts in the next few hours and don't have the time to experiment today...

Thanks!
Steve C

Aselert
02-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi Scampbel

Please give me your email adress, I can send you this (diffuse/bump/spec).

andy
02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Shoot, I thought I had a texture for that as well, but don't.
It's pretty easy to make though.
In photoshop, create a medium grey noise. Add crystalize effect. Offset and make tileable. Now apply some glass distortion until you're happy with the edge. Double check that it's tileable (it might not be anymore so offset again and fix it).

Use that as specular map on a metal material and you should be pretty close.

scampbel
02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
thanks guys!

steve.campbell@donaldson.com

Aselert
02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
It's send ;)

andy
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I thought I had one, didn't, so made one. I'm more a fan of sharing with everyone. Hopefully that sharing option will happen soon.
Anyway, i just made both of the textures, so no worries about that. They are pretty big so you don't see any tiles. If you have a heavy scene that might hurt a bit.

Here's the material: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30098323/Bunk%20Mats/Galvanized.bmf

And here's what it looks like:

It's not perfect, but that should show you an easy concept to get what you want. The color cast is not in the texture though, it's in the metal color. If you want it looking more Tin like, then add more blue. I don't like to go overboard with that.
If you want the flake much bigger, you'd need to create a new texture. It's not that high res. There's not tons of detail in the edges. Like I said, I just quick threw it together.

Aselert
02-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks Andy for the full material .bmf, mine was just the textures.

andy
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Well your textures might be better. I just slapped mine together in a few minutes in Photoshop.

Oh, also the bump may not be that necessary. It'll render slower with it. Get rid of it if you don't need a super close up.

Aselert
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure andy! I wasn't aware of this method in photoshop, your's looks very realistic! ;)

Aselert
02-07-2012, 04:13 PM
How can I share this textures on the forum? Need I a url?

andy
02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
You just have to hit the "Insert Image" button found next to the Hyperlink button. Then "From Computer" > select files, and follow any other prompts.
It worked for me, firefox 10.0

You do need a URL to post a file though. Hopefully they add that soon. I used dropbox.
Just throw the file in your public folder, right click>copy url, and paste it in the forum.
(if you are at a big company, IT may not like you having things like dropbox installed, and may not allow it)

brad.cunningham
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Really cool to see you guys sharing materials. Stay tuned, we are working on opening up our online library to end users for this exact purpose. We will have a way for you to upload your custom materials to our community library and they will be available to other users of the community.

For now keep up the good work.

andy
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I know that's coming. Because of that, I still feel like you guys should add a field to the material to add notes. For instance, the material I uploaded there has a nearly unnecessary bump map on it that causes the render to be quite a bit longer. I would make mention of that in the notes.
Also people could add notes of who created it, and if they started from someone else's material, etc.
It's nice to give recognition where recognition is due.

brad.cunningham
02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Yup, those features will be included when we roll out the community sharing feature. A description field will be available and the material will be associated with the person uploading it. If the person uploading is different from the creator that can be specified in the description field.

Also note, this won't be limited to just materials but to anything in our community (backplates, enviroments, cameras, etc...)

andy
02-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Remember to be careful about textures/backplates/environments. Someone will have to play watchdog for copyrighted materials. I know vray-materials.de has had some issues with that in the past. Someone says, "hey look at my beautiful wood material." And it looks good, because they paid someone for the texture, the spec map, the normal map, etc. and just plugged it into the appropriate slots. Yeah, it looks good, but it's not legal to be sharing.

It's not a very easy thing to watch out for. I just wanted to remind you guys that it's Going to happen, probably even if you warn people about it.

scampbel
02-07-2012, 06:43 PM
you guys are both awesome! I am finalizing the render now... I agree I can't wait until the share option is opened up.. the bunkspeed community is pretty tight and that will only improve

brad.cunningham
02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Andy, this is one of the main reasons we have held off opening this feature up right away. We are well aware of the potential issues and we are confident that we have a solution that will mitigate the problems.

scampbel
02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
dropbox works great for this type of thing!

andy
02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Cool. I can't wait to try it.
If I had it at home I'd probably contribute a bit more to that. ;)