PDA

View Full Version : Step import creating one root part

lesleyc
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
my version of shot was automatically updated to version 2012.3.0.432 & when i now import a step file containing multiple bodies (from UGS NX) i get one part called root. Now i cannot assign individual materials. This was not the case before. Can we roll back to the working version?

also any idea if there will ever be a plugin for NX or perhaps a parasolid import?

Also whats up with the toolbar, the tools are hidden & it makes toggling between tools difficult....

thx

wheeldude
02-15-2012, 12:07 AM
For importing, I don't know if this will help you... when I work out of SolidWorks I have to color coordinate the material groups prior to export (*.stp file). Otherwise all of the model components will import in as a single "material"... then requiring the tedious process of splitting out faces in Shot. When I work out of Catia V5 this color coordinating doesn't work for me because the color attributes aren't carried over with Catia's export process. I hope the upcoming Catia plugin from Bunkspeed fixes this issue. I haven't used NX in awhile so I don't know how it will handle color/export.

david.randle
02-15-2012, 12:49 AM
my version of shot was automatically updated to version 2012.3.0.432 & when i now import a step file containing multiple bodies (from UGS NX) i get one part called root. Now i cannot assign individual materials. This was not the case before. Can we roll back to the working version?

also any idea if there will ever be a plugin for NX or perhaps a parasolid import?

Also whats up with the toolbar, the tools are hidden & it makes toggling between tools difficult....

thx

Hi leslyc -

We are investigating what happened here. BTW: this change was NOT introduced between 2012.3 and 2012.3.0.432 but rather from 2012.2 to 2012.3.
Parasolid support will likely come before direct NX support but neither are on the short term list at the moment.
RE: the toolbar, you will probably favor the hotkeys for cycling through selection modes and manipulation modes. These are outlined in the hotkeys section of the documentation which you can get to by pushing F1.

Thanks

lesleyc
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
thx wheeldude, i can only export out color & layer info. not having much luck on the import. i do have solidworks as a secondary CAD. i guess i could export into that...import to shot. hoping for a fix soon.

David re. the toolbar...see the pic attached. the fuctions remain hidden when hovering over & makes it diffuclt to toggle
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/26907971.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/26907971.jpg/

david.randle
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
the toolbar issue is happening because your viewport is too narrow. Try widening your window and this should solve the problem. Basically your window is smaller than the dimensions we specify in our specs for minimum requirements. If you are running full screen and this is still happening, then the resolution of your screen is too low.

Thanks for the image. made the issue very clear.

ekestam
02-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm also having trouble importing my STEPs after upgrading to 2012.3.
The models are from Pro/E and the importer merge all the different parts and materials to one part in Bunkspeed.
When i try to split the surfaces the merged part has all kinds of wierd surface constraints.

In the projects created before the update the Model tree is correct (multiple parts) but the thumbnails in the tree have lost material and looks pixled.

Any news on the Pro/E plugin for Pro Suite?

Thanks

designlee
02-18-2012, 01:35 AM
This was the exactly same thing that happened to me also. Had no issue until the latest update.
Turns out that importing colored step file has the same issue when imported to a bif file that was created before the update. Also, importing solidworks 2012 assembly files imports as a blank file in previous files.
When I create a new project and try importing the same files, has no problem.
Seems like compatibility issue between old/new project files. Hope this gets fixed soon.

scampbel
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
I actually had a similar thing happen trying to import a camera model that someone made in Solidedge (www.grabcad.com) whether i brought it straight into BS as a step or brought it into Pro and healed the geometry and re stepped it out it still came in as 1 solid. IF I made an OBJ it came in completely split into tiny polygons. It took me hours to sort everything and get materials applied. WE did verify that if we brought the file as a step directly in to KS it worked correctly.

Hope this helps.

Steve C

bebop
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
I have only just updated my Pro because I suffered from the previous install issues that plagued the original update release.

I am also having the STEP translation problems since installing the latest Pro. The files are exported from SolidWorks. Previously assemblies came in as separate 'materials'. Each part could be assigned a different material. A single part with multiple bodies could be assigned different materials. A single part with faces coloured differently would also accept different materials. This was all really useful. Now STEP assemblies come in as a single 'material'.

I have also tried IGES. Same problem.

Thankfully I can import SolidWorks Assemblies direct, which seems to work very well, but this translation issue clearly needs to be resolved.

kentbot
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Same issues with me from ProE WF4. STEP= one root part. Iges= BS Pro 2012.3 crashing everytime.
This obviously needs a fix!! Conversions from STEP to Solidworks then BS Pro works....but this is a stupid work around and really does not give me faith in Bunkspeed.

Philemon
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Having the same issues with step file import from Catia V5, so I tried 3Dxml to no avail. 3Dxml Suggestion

A tree structure, with only one node like the step file, imports but no geometry. I checked the 3dxml in Catia and Dassault's viewer and everything looks proper, including the tree. I don't have SW, so I am stuck for now. Anyone successfully import a 3Dxml, single part or multi-body?

david.randle
02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi All -

Good news is that we have found and fixed the issue with any import formats that didn't retain color data (mostly STEP, IGES and ACIS). The fix will be issued in an Auto Update in about a weeks time.

Thank you for all the feedback

david.randle
02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
@ Philemon - Try these settings for getting 3DXML out of CATIA: 137

Philemon
02-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Thanks David, those setting were the answer. 3DXML looks beautiful and imports very fast. I think I'll be moving on from STEP files.

rbzajeski
02-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Any way of getting it sooner? We just upgraded our Shot to Move and now we can't render any of our models. The only formats we have are STEP, ACIS, or IGES

david.randle
03-01-2012, 12:27 AM
We look to release the update early next week. Can't do sooner than that unfortunately. What CAD package are you coming from? I may have some other suggestions in the meantime. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

jlowap
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
if you need any help with conversions than can help if I can..

ekestam
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi,

I havn't seen anything regarding this fix.
Do I have to do something to get the "Auto Update"?

david.randle
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM
No, its not our yet. trying to get it out this week