PDA

View Full Version : Are all units equal to Meters if you don't scale?

andy
02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm working on a product about 14 inches tall. The file is in mm in Rhino.
I've got it looking pretty good, but noticed something odd. DOF settings.

I know enough about cameras (I think) to know approximately how narrow the field will be on a 50mm lens when I focus that close with an f-stop of between 1 and 5. That should be pretty narrow right? I only want a subtle effect, so had to take it to F-Stop of 0.15
So I thought I'd try an experiment. I scaled my model down to .01 (from Meters to Millimeters)
Bingo. I zoomed my camera in, put in an F-Stop of 15 and it looked approximately the same. My solid glass materials look more accurate as well.

I wish I would have realized that sooner. Are you guys having the same experience?
The pain is, sometimes people use Inches, sometimes mm. Who the heck uses Meters? I don't know of 1 single manufacturer using Meters. You jewlers must have a hard time with that, unless you're making hoola-hoops.

david.randle
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes to all. We use meters historically because of the use of our tools in the Automotive industry (which is where we got started)

andy
02-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Why not just convert the scenes. When I import into Max it automatically converts the scenes for me.
If you don't convert, Anyone not working in Meters will have a hard time getting accurate looking results on camera effects and transparent materials.

david.randle
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Its on our list, just not extremely high priority