PDA

View Full Version : Auto-appy materials to different model configurations

renze_springtime
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I didn't know how to properly describe this in one sentence, but basically I work a lot with models that have to be shown in different configurations.. think for example about a folding bicycle. These models have a lot of parts and it would be great if it was possible to quickly auto-apply materials from one configuration to the other. If all the parts are properly named, I could imagine that this would be possible?
Taking this a bit further, it would be even better to be able to copy or export a full material library from one scene to the next, so that both configurations wouldn't have to be in the same scene (which would be a bit easier on the workstation).

andy
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to apply a material than to rename each layer? Now, if they actually use the names from your file then I agree. This has been talked about before.

There Is a general way to do this that they did when they were hypershot, but I'm not sure if they are going that direction again. I'd like them to.

In Rhino at least, you could assign a hypershot material out of your library. Rhino just shows it as a color. You don't really need anything more than that anyway. When you export to hypershot, it's already that material.

That's actually how I'd like them to solve your problem again. This saves even More time because the parts you reuse from one file are already the proper color in your next one and you don't have to do anything other than move them to the correct location.

renze_springtime
03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Ah true, I'd forgotten about plugins.. Shot only has export plugins at the moment right? (I can't seem to find download links for those anymore btw, are they still supported?).

Yeah, a plugin with materials would work, although both Solidworks (Realview) and Rhino (Auxpecker) have plugins that give me a nice realtime view of materials while working.. I guess I could always apply Shot materials before exporting.
Well, anyway, both would be good scenario's I think.

andy
03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
My pref would be to have Auxpecker (or auxpecker-like) materials in Rhino. They are great right? And it's super simple. It would be pretty easy for Bunkspeed to automatically create the materials. They already render the image preview right? Just save another copy in a different location, done.
So if you assign that material and import your file (no plugin needed for that) it would recognize the material name and auto-assign it. This way, you get a decent preview in Rhino of the material breakup and even a basic finish, and the workflow of getting to Shot would be quite a bit better.

david.randle
03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
@ renze_springtime. Our AutoPaint feature will do exactly what you're asking for.

Turn on Auto-Paint in Tools > Options > Import. The way this work is:

We recognize the material names from the CAD package you're coming from and make an xml sheet of what materials in our software you paint those parts. If you then reimport your model as a different configuration (but keep the material names unchanged), it will come in painted automatically like you painted your original model.

You can even take this a step further and come up with your own "recipe" for what material names get what material in our software, so if you rename materials in other models in your CAD package, then they too will come in autopainted.

Give it a try and let me know what you think

renze_springtime
03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh that would be terrific David, thanks, I will give that a go and let you know my findings.