PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Layer Materials in 2012.4 Release

amoncur
04-19-2012, 05:58 AM
The new multi-layer material looks cool! Will Bunkspeed be releasing any of these materials in the community downloads area?

david.randle
04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Yes, over time we will be pushing some Multi-Layer materials into the community. Anything you'd like to see specifically?

amoncur
04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Both the rusty and muddy examples you showed in the press release are great. Here are a few more ideas (all of them could be applied to various substrates such as concrete, wood, steel, glass, etc):

Chipped paint
Dusty surfaces
Weathered wood
Moss/mold
Hair on skin (like facial hair, or arm/leg hair)
Water drops on glass (think beer ad)
Fingerprints/smudges

wheeldude
05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Is the multi-layer material feature available for all versions of 2012.4 Bunkspeed products (Shot, Move, Pro, Drive, etc.)?

How long before this latest webinar is posted on the Bunkspeed website?

david.randle
05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
@ amoncur - Ok, cool suggestions. Not sure about the hair/skin business. Maybe when we release subsurface scattering materials that would be closer to being possible.

@ wheeldude - Multi Layer is in Pro and Drive. The webinar will be posted shortly.

amoncur
05-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Cool - sss materials are in the pipeline?

andy
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
http://blog.irayrender.com/ (http://blog.irayrender.com)

Check there if you ever feel like seeing what might be coming down the pipe. Don't get your hopes up though. It's slow. Metalic flake has been sitting there since November. SSS since December. Matte objects is the newest thing since April 18, however, and somehow that already made it into 3dsMax with a minor tweak.

There are also some great tips there as well, like how to deal with antialiasing bright objects (stairsteps on white/bright), why never to use pure 0 or 255 R G or B, or how to deal with touching liquid surfaces.

I was going to suggest matte objects as a feature, but I'm sure it will come. It's nice to have a wall, but at the same time, Not see a wall to catch shadows. That's the most basic. But pretty much that would allow you to model the entire environment if you wanted, and have it catch shadows and be visible to reflections, but not render. I would never do that, but having something leaning against a fence I would model a basic model of the fence to catch shadows and be visible to reflections. Very handy.

I'm sure we'll see these features in a while. They'll probably be in the pro version.

david.randle
05-03-2012, 11:58 PM
@ amoncur - Yes, indeed.
@ andy - Good recommendation and you are correct about all. BTW, the difficulty in exposing "matte objects" is the UI design. The guys at autodesk did what they do best...give you a panel with a bunch of options that you get to figure out. We don't like doing things that way so until we have a nice way for users to interact with and generate results from Matte objects, we will wait.