PDA

View Full Version : challenge - make chrome with the generic material

andy
05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Why would you do that? Well because I want control of the IOR.

I'm not sure why IOR is limited to 3 on one material, and 4 on general either, especially since there's at least 1 material who's IOR is higher than 4.

I get it, make metal easy. But shouldn't I be able to make most anything I want with the generic material?

If someone figures this out, please share. I prefer making things out of the generic material because it allows you to tweak a subtle setting. Like, if you're happy with some glass, but then you need to change it's transparency. Oops, you can't, unless you used generic or plastic.

Drakenator
05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
All chrome is is specular reflection so set all colors to black but set the spec to white. IOR maxed to 4 for maximum reflection and 0 roughness (unless you want it polished).

andy
05-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Is there any way you know of to make it, and actually be physically accurate? Because no object is 100% reflective, and chrome's IOR isn't anywhere near 4. It should actually be closer to 70% and 2.2 IOR (yes pure chromium is almost 3, but chrome finishes aren't pure chromium).
Of course, since Bunkspeed's color scale still isn't correct, I suppose I couldn't expect it to have other numbers right. Just make it look how you want right?