PDA

View Full Version : is fbx broken?

andy
05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I thought it might be Max 2013, but I can't get fbx in from Daz 3d either. I had it working at one time. I'm using obj but it's a pain in the rear because every program is always trying to flip the axis one way or the other and scaling in odd orders. FBX has units and up axis built in, so it's to scale and upright in any software that understands it.

Bunkspeed can't understand Something for me though. I've even tried just a box. Still errors.

Am I alone?

david.randle
05-08-2012, 12:15 AM
What error are you getting?

JohnG
05-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I never had much luck opening fbx files from DAZ into Bunkaspeed, although as I recall the geometry was ok but the textures wouldn't show even if I tried reapplying them in Bunkspeed.

My solution was to use SimLab composer, open the fbx in Simlab then export, and open in Bunkspeed.

Its a great program, its solved a lot of these kinds of issues for me.

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-main.aspx

andy
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
what error? hmmmm, hard to say because it works now. The update this morning seems to have fixed it.

JohnG
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The update made no difference for me, I still don't see any textures on the model although they show up in the material tab.

andy
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Oh, well That's true. I also notice it lost the texture coordinates. It came into 3dsMax fully textured. I had hair on the model and was hoping to use the textures to make the chunks of hair transparent. I was just using the model for size and making her look like a mannequin so I didn't need most of them. The texture coordinates where completely lost though as far as I could tell. But again, I didn't fully test it so I can't say it's something wrong with bunkspeed just yet.
Of course, it Did bring in a Ton of materials, but none of them were applied to anything which doesn't seem right.

david.randle
05-08-2012, 05:54 PM
The update made no difference for me, I still don't see any textures on the model although they show up in the material tab.

Can you provide a test file for us please? The makers of SimLab Composer are the same ones who make several of our importers (including the fbx) so i'm very curious as to how you're getting different results.

Thanks

JohnG
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I've sent you a PM David

david.randle
05-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Hi John -

We found a bug based on your test files and fixed it. The fix will roll out with our next release. Thanks for helping find that one!

JohnG
05-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Great, glad to be of help. I'll be using fbx more often now.

andy
05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
glad to know, sorry I dropped off on this one a bit. I got busy, then didn't notice the thread. I can't get the email feature to work on this forum, so don't get any sort of notification of a reply.