PDA

View Full Version : why are backplates with env and not cams?

andy
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to have backplates for cameras? You might have multiple, but still. I'm not sure why they seem to be in the environment group. It seems like something that should be attached to each camera. no?

david.randle
05-11-2012, 04:50 AM
We've always thought they could go either way, but historically, they have been a "scene" component in our tools.

What should ease this separation is new functionality we are working on to link Environments/Cameras and Backplates.

andy
05-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I can definitely see reasons to go on either side of it. A backplate is often just a nice image of the environment you are using without the distortion. Then again, often times your backplate is the image you have to use, and you have no HDR to go along with it (usually my case). No one seems to do HDR's of things like surgical sites. The lighting is aweful for white balancing. Spots are blue, lights are green, and the furthest lights are yellow/orange. How the heck do you white balance That?

So usually I match the camera to a backplate photo, but render to make the product look nice instead of matching the environment too much. You know, just match light direction for the most part. Then paint some color on via a hue layer in photoshop just to make it feel a Little like it belongs in the scene.