PDA

View Full Version : Scale confusion - UV inches, transform...Meters?

andy
05-21-2012, 06:31 PM
First, I did Not use autoscale. It gives me too much grief.

My object is 43 inches long. Maybe it's coincident, but when I apply a UV map to it the map automatically scales to 43. So it sounds like it's in inches, which is what the original Rhino file was.

When I go to move a copy of the object, which is about 27inches wide I think, I move it about the width of the product apart from the first one. The distance is .6174?

If that isn't confusing, I don't know what is. Is there any way to keep all the units the same? I need accurate units in order to keep camera settings correct and material thickness working for solid transparency, but it sure would be nice to know how far I'm moving things without taking out my calculator.

Also, I had to do a little math and the value I'm moving seems to be converting inches to meters, divided by 2. I find that odd. I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong.
Can anyone comment on how to appropriately use scale here to keep it consistent? If it's just converting to meters before bringing things in that's fine. I just need to know what will give me consistent values.

Chevy
05-22-2012, 01:37 AM
"When I go to move a copy of the object, which is about 27inches wide I think, I move it about the width of the product apart from the first one. The distance is .6174?"

Bunkspeed's native units of measurement is in meters. So I do believe that your object is at the correct scale; since 27in = .6858m (.0254 is the ratio)

When I export my objects from ironcad, I export in meters and that solves the scaling issue. If I forget to do that, I will have to manually resize my objects inside bunkspeed with .0254 scale since the native unit of measurement is in inches. I never use the autosize since I don't know what's the logic behind that function... Once it autosizes, I don't know what scale the object is at anymore.

Hope that helps.

andy
05-22-2012, 12:45 PM
It almost helps. That was my thought as well. I thought they used meters.
So my product is 43in, like I said. When I change my UV map to Box it automatically scales to fit the bounding box of the part that you are selecting right? What I'm questioning is why the box size is 43 and not something closer to 2. Are some units in inches and some in meters?

I hear you about the autoscale function being confusing. I'll try setting my units to meters first in rhino, although that Does seem pretty silly if you are working on something like jewelry if that's what you have to do. I wonder how that effects tolerances. I know it gets harder to navigate scenes when objects are tiny. Back in '03 most applications camera clipping cut out at .01 (on the smaller side) units if you didn't change them. That means the clipping plane for a ring would be larger than your ring itself if you got to close. It would be there, if you get an inch closer it would disappear completely.

So when you scale after the fact do you have problems with solid material settings and depth of field? I'm often trying to match an existing picture so I like to look at the EXIF data to get a good starting point for my image. On a nicer camera it will tell you how much you zoomed with your lens, your aperature, etc. Of course, the zoom is a bit messy because of the size of the sensor messes that up. I need to figure out mine so I can get it closer. Camera matching in bunkspeed isn't very easy, especially at wider angles like a 15mm lens. I had to do that on my last one with something very box shaped and I ended up having to fudge the shape a bit in photoshop. Even with Pro it's pretty difficult to move cameras around, especially in small incriments. You have to use the sliders. Hopefully we'll get multiple views that are actually live in the next release. That will help a lot.

blitz
05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I work in mm in 3D Studio. When I import my models into bunkspeed I scale my models by a factor of .01 (which technically is not correct it should be .001). I noticed when I scale by .001 (true scale of jewelry) I have more difficulty doing transforms, manipulating cameras, etc. I also notice lighting is more washed out when scale is so small.