PDA

View Full Version : clear coat with no bump, on top of "bump"?

andy
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
To get the reflections of carbon fiber, you need bump right? But if you add clearcoat on top of that it uses the bump. And if you go into pro and add another material on top of it, it still uses bump.

The only way I can think of to make a realistic looking carbon fiber is to duplicate the surface and offset it (you'd get that anyway due to the resin) and assign a clear resin (basically glass) material to the outer layer. But I'm pretty sure that would take considerably longer to render.

Any tips on that? I'm cheating right now for this one because it's a simple selection so I'm rendering it once as raw carbon fiber with no clear coat, then rendering it as chrome. A little photoshop magic later, and I have what I need. But that's not very useful when someone asks for my nice looking carbon fiber material a few days later.

david.randle
06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Our multilayer system does actually create and offset geometry for each layer so a bump of a material below another has no effect. See my attached image of our default Carbon Fiber with a Clearcoat over it as part of a Multilayer material

artem
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow that looks great!

andy
06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
that's odd. Those definitely aren't the results I got. Once the Pro machine frees up I'll give it a go again.

I just ended up rendering the object as chrome and used photoshop blending modes to get the result we were after for now.
I'm glad to know it works like that though. I tested it once, but managed to break it. I wonder if you build it backward first, then re-order the layers if the bump stays on top? I think I may have had to reorder. I can't remember. I just remember something wasn't as I expected, and had to re-order the layers for some reason.

I'll give it a go next week.