PDA

View Full Version : Q: During rendering of an animation, if the frames are identical, are they still rend

artem
06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Hello,
I have an animation that has pauses in it so it technically shows the same frame multiple times until next action occurs. For those frames that are identical, does the rendering engine render each one separately or does it render the first one and then just copy pastes it until some other movement occurs?

Just curious because I'm thinking if it does not, some simple code to check for object/camera movement can drastically reduce render times.

Thanks,
Artem.

amoncur
06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I believe it renders each frame. But you're right, would be nice if the software could simply copy the static image instead of rerendering them all.

david.randle
06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Yes, it renders each frame now. We have it on our long term list to optimize it based on your suggestions however.

andy
06-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Keep in mind that copying the same frame over and over can potentially be a Huge waste of space. I highly recommend getting to know your time remap tool in AfterEffects. The basic idea is simple. Split your timeline any time you want to pause. Add a time remap keyframe there, and delete the existing end keyframe. Now it will hold at that frame you set. Move The next layer over for your paused amount of time and stretch your layer to meet it. Repeat for each pause.

This is especially important if you render to HD, and if you are like me and render shadows and reflections in separate passes.