PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1 of the Community is now live!

david.randle
06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Today, we released the first of two phases which will ultimately allow all users of our Community to exchange assets freely. Phase 1 marks the completion of the "consumption" end of the community where you can Search, Browse, find the Most Popular, Most recent and also see what specific users have uploaded. Until Phase 2, Bunkspeed Administrators will be publishing assets but your feedback on the current interface will be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy and we'll update you when Phase 2 is ready!

amoncur
06-07-2012, 05:08 AM
I wish the view on any category setting would let you see more than 8 assets at a time. For example, if you go into the Environments category (though it is the same for any category: materials, popular items, etc) you can only see 8 environments at a time, even though there are several pages worth of environments. It would be nice if we could choose to see all on the same page, and simply scroll down. It takes too long to click and navigate through several different pages.

Also, I was REALLY excited to see all of the new material categories: food, fur, paper, vegetation, etc....until I clicked them and saw they were empty :( Does Bunkspeed have some materials they'll be populating in here? Or are these just empty boxes for the user base to fill up?

david.randle
06-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Good suggestion on the amount per page. We were discussing on that topic internally quite a bit and wanted to hear the users' comments.

The new categories will be populated gradually but i imagine it will really grow once we complete phase 2.

artem
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Anytime there is a 5 star rating system, please allow for users to leave comments. It will be good for the creator of the asset to get feedback on his work and will allow for things like requests and suggestions.

david.randle
06-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Anytime there is a 5 star rating system, please allow for users to leave comments. It will for the creator of the asset to get feedback on his work and will allow for things like requests and suggestions.

Thanks artem - comments are on the list for Phase 2

artem
06-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Another suggestion is to have an area for description of assets. I clicked on the SUV Tire material and besides the little thumbnail, I am not given any information. Another thing would be to allow the owner/users to post screenshots of said material/asset when it's in use.

Thanks!
Artem.

david.randle
06-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Yep, on the list as well. Thanks

andy
06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
It would be nice to see thumbnails of a more descriptive shape. This is especially important for things like transparent solid materials. Once you get SSS, Definitely. I'd like to see the thumbnail be your material sample, or even a new one. Certain things, like a wood floor material, make most sense applied to a flat object, but be shown with objects on top of it so you can see how reflections are treated, etc. I know that's more complicated, but it would be nice to have a couple different options to show the material. The thumbnail is nice to have a visual difference so you can find them in your own material browser, but doesn't really show the material well.

Notes on how it should be applied helps as well, and it would be nice to have some sort of benchmark #. Somehow calculate a percentage of change from the standard material or something on a benchmark scene. That way you know how "heavy" a material is. For instance, if I put a tiny bump map on a material, which I do quite often for close up shots, it absolutely Kills my render time. I would want to make sure other people are aware that material should only be used for close up shots. If you can't see the bump, you're wasting a ton of render time.

I'd like to see environments categorized as well. Something like, outdoor day, outdoor night, indoor studio, indoor room, indoor large space, and artificial? Something like that.

It's looking good.

david.randle
06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
andy -

Yes, our thoughts are that we will allow upload of multiple thumbnails. One will be recommended to be our Material Model just to show it off with meaningful insight. The other thumbnails will be up to the user to describe how it is best used. As above, we are also showing a Description Field and a Notes field so that a consumers of the asset can know how to best use it.

As far as environment catagorization, i think we'll get there when there are hundreds of them (like materials) for the first round a search and the tag filter should be fine IMO.

Thanks for the feedback

andy
06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Ok, that's good. Obviously since it's only the first phase for now, that's all I could see. Good to know there will be the capability. It sounds like it will be a pretty nice community site. You know I've been wanting that notes field too. (also just so I can remember what size I'm suppose to put my Own UVW maps)

You're probably right about the environment as well. If there starts to be thousands of them, then it's probably important. But until then....it's probably fine the way it is.

haknslash
06-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Is this why I now see a bunch of new material folders Fur, Food, Natural, etc? I missed the last webinar so I'm out of the loop on what was said in it. Going to go watch it now on your site.

I don't see any materials in these new folders so I'm guessing an update will be rolling out shortly with new materials to download?

Thanks BS for all you guys do!

david.randle
06-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Yes, we established the new categories so the we and shortly you guys can start filling them up!