PDA

View Full Version : Material Thumbnails

CAClark1411
06-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I have been extracting materials from models in to my library, and have come across instances where the thumbnails don't generate. Doesn't really affect anything, but I'm wondering what about the material causes it, given that in the scene library of materials they all have thumbnails.

Cheers!

Aselert
06-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi CAClark1411,

Even after refreshing the material?
Or maybe your material do not find the way/link of textures (although they are normally included). Or did you moved it recently?

Regards

JohnG
06-11-2012, 08:07 AM
The textures etc. are all included in the material file. This sometimes happens, but I find once you restart the application the thumbnail appears.

david.randle
06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Thumbnails are generated dynmically when the material is created. Usually, if the thumbnail isn't showing up or is matte grey its because the thumbnails generation sequence never had a change to begin. On a slower machine that is also rendering a project, the thumbnail generation takes second priority so you'll sometimes notice the thumbnails won't generate until you pause the render, or turn raytrace off etc. (basically give the machine a break so i can take the time go generate them). Individual material thumbnails should render as the material is creates because there isn't a big cost associated with that.

Hope this help understand what's happening but i don't really know why they would be blank for a while...especially when saving them. I'll try and find out