PDA

View Full Version : Rendering large imare

normanparra
06-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Hello everyone!
I have a question regarding the rendering of a large image (about 4.5 x 3 meters). My machine doesn't seem to be able to handle such amount of pixels. I have tried 300dpi, 150dpi, 100dpi and 72dpi. It just crashes (Connection with the Background Rendering wa unexpectedly lost). I have even toggle the Render in Background option on and off with no result. I am using CPU for rendering. Here is my question: is there a way to render the image in sections or parts or even passes?

I am using Move 2012.4.5.503

Dell Precision T3500
12.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit SP1
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Thanks a lot!

andy
06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
It actually automatically tiles the image into segments.

I would probably suggest around 50dpi for an image that size unless your viewers are going to be walking up close enough to touch it. That will help.

Also, try this:
Save your file with raytrace mode turned off.
Restart your machine, don't open Anything except move.
Open your file and render to background. Close as soon as it gives you the message. Make sure you don't render with the image visible in the display. Make sure you have Win7 Aero turned Off. You should be using the basic mode.

I have a beast of a machine, but occasionally I can't render in the background without restarting first.

If you have access to Pro it gets even easier because you can send to the queue, then restart your machine, then open queue and start rendering. That way you never have to run it on the machine.

The guys from Bunkspeed might be able to give a few more suggestions, but that's what works for me. I've been rendering hand tool sized things lately for print though, so I usually max out around 7000 pixels, not 12. And I'm camera matching often, so I can also render region to save memory and lots of speed.

Hope that helps a little. Once you get it going it should handle the tiling ok. Sometimes it's just hard to get it to start rendering.

normanparra
06-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your reply Andy!
I will try that and get back with the results.

normanparra
06-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Andy,
It seems that doing what you suggested works. I tried it and the rendering started and kept on going until I stoped it. It went at a rate of 1% per half hour. I will try it again on Friday and leave it over the weekend. Do you know if the rendering stops when the computer is locked? Don't want to get any surprises Monday morning :)
Thanks!

andy
06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
yeesh, that sure takes some time. I'm glad it's at least rendering though.
it's a bit easier with Pro because you can send to queue, Close completely, Then start the render.

The render Shouldn't stop, but I've had cases where something causes a crash during some time. My suggestion is to go into the power options of windows, start by switching to performance mode and double check all the settings. You won't want to hard drive to ever turn off (at least not during your render)

I'm using Balanced right now and haven't been crashing over lunch lately. My computer is locked and the screen went to sleep when I get back. My rendering still completes.

Here's what I have that I felt Might be relevant:
turn off display: 10min
sleep: never
turn off hard disk: 20 minutes (I'm surprised. I know I changed that. IT must have it back on with group policy, but at least it's working)
When sharing media: prevent idling to sleep

OH, and one more thing. Disable AERO. I was getting some strange behavior with 3dsMax, Showcase, and Bunkspeed. Nothing huge, but it seems much more stable after I turned that off.
Easiest way I know of to do that is to switch your "personalization" setting, pull up the Window color, and switch it to basic. All it does is get rid of the transparent window borders and their shadows. No harm done.

david.randle
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Yes, make sure you set sleep to never, i would also urge to turn "turn display off" to never (Just turn off your monitor manually). The act of Locking the session in Win7 disables the display driver which will stop the rendering and cause it to fall back to CPU. if you are rendering on CPU anyway, then that should affect you but i wouldn't take the risk if you can avoid it..

Good luck and i hope our suggestions help.