PDA

View Full Version : queue job failed - now what?

andy
06-15-2012, 03:36 PM
I sent about 20 jobs. 3 of them somewhere in the middle failed. They are All from the same scene and simple renders. Can't I just restart them somehow?

blitz
06-16-2012, 03:08 PM
I always have this issue. Sent 3 batches of 16 jobs yesterday (waited for each of the batches of jobs to finish before clearing and adding a new batch), 25% of them failed.

amoncur
06-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Same here. It seems like if I send all of the images from the same configuration of the same .bif file they render fine. But as soon as I hide a part and send to Queue, or open a new .bif and send something to Queue, I get many failure. Since Queue is one of the defining features of Pro, I'd hoped it would have been reliable by now. Hopefully Bunkspeed will find a way to direct more resources to making it more reliable, because it's horribly frustrating to use now.

klll
06-18-2012, 05:58 AM
i've left my machine to render over the weekend.
came back to find out that the 2 renders from the same configurations, says 'job fails'.
but another render on queue from a different file managed to render.
tried resending the job that fails again but its still fails.

please help

klll
06-18-2012, 06:53 AM
also tried queue on powerboost...
pop-up - 'unable to connect to remote queue server. please try again later'
please help

i'm just wondering:-
if i were to send a render to queue, 1 on local and another on powerboost, will it render simultaneously or will it wait for 1 to finish before it starts another?
please advice. thank you

andy
06-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure. I don't have a dedicated rendering machine to run powerboost, so we don't use it. I can't get boost to work either. Well...sort of. It works on CPU, but won't render with GPU so what's the point?

And also, Amoncur, I think you May have nailed it. I think it's a hiding problem.
That might have something also to do with the problem of hiding a part, saving a file, open the file again, and the part is no longer hidden. Well, if that's the case, what happens on the queue? Maybe it just fails?

I think the files I sent that failed had parts hidden. I'll need some more time to confirm that or not, but if someone has some time to test it out then we can send a proper bug report.

blitz
06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure. I don't have a dedicated rendering machine to run powerboost, so we don't use it. I can't get boost to work either. Well...sort of. It works on CPU, but won't render with GPU so what's the point?

And also, Amoncur, I think you May have nailed it. I think it's a hiding problem.
That might have something also to do with the problem of hiding a part, saving a file, open the file again, and the part is no longer hidden. Well, if that's the case, what happens on the queue? Maybe it just fails?

I think the files I sent that failed had parts hidden. I'll need some more time to confirm that or not, but if someone has some time to test it out then we can send a proper bug report.

I've had queue fail jobs with no hiding whatsoever repeatedly on different projects. I don't think thats the issue.

amoncur
06-19-2012, 05:30 PM
I agree the failures do seem a bit capricious at times. I have noticed that it does happen more frequently, however, when hiding a part, or sending jobs from different .bif files, or changing configurations between images. I have not experienced failures when using the "all cameras" or "all configurations" setting in the render tab - those seem to work well. It's when I send individual scenes to render, and manually change things between the different scenes that I see lots of failures.

david.randle
06-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi All -

There is a known issue right now with Queue not reporting the correct status on jobs when many jobs are sent to the Queue (~20+). Often times, closing Queue then reopening will do an OK job correcting the status on the jobs (and you may find that ones that initially said Failed, no longer say failed). We are working on this to try and resolve. As far as hiding/showing/changing color then sending jobs to the Queue, i personally have found a problem with that but havn't been able to reproduce it yet so if any of you (like Aaron) seem to have a consistent method on getting failed jobs when doing certain things with configurations, please be in touch.

Are you sending jobs to the Queue very quickly back to back before the previous job finishes uploading by any chance?

Thanks

Also,

david.randle
06-19-2012, 06:13 PM
also tried queue on powerboost...
pop-up - 'unable to connect to remote queue server. please try again later'
please help

i'm just wondering:-
if i were to send a render to queue, 1 on local and another on powerboost, will it render simultaneously or will it wait for 1 to finish before it starts another?
please advice. thank you

Jobs sent to local Queue and to PowerBoost will be rendered simultaneously. We just display progress of both in the Queue interface. Your error message indicates that your desktop software cannot connect to the PowerBoost machine or that a PowerBoost machine isn't set up. If you start a support ticket or give more info on what you are trying to do we can help.

Thanks

amoncur
06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi All -

There is a known issue right now with Queue not reporting the correct status on jobs when many jobs are sent to the Queue (~20+). Often times, closing Queue then reopening will do an OK job correcting the status on the jobs (and you may find that ones that initially said Failed, no longer say failed). We are working on this to try and resolve. As far as hiding/showing/changing color then sending jobs to the Queue, i personally have found a problem with that but havn't been able to reproduce it yet so if any of you (like Aaron) seem to have a consistent method on getting failed jobs when doing certain things with configurations, please be in touch.

Are you sending jobs to the Queue very quickly back to back before the previous job finishes uploading by any chance?

Thanks

Also,

I've been sure to wait until the previous job has been sent to Queue before sending the next, so (with me, anyway) I don't think that's the issue.

klll
06-20-2012, 06:07 AM
hi david,
i've just realized that we don't have power boost. I thought powerboost and boost is the same. sorry about that.

if i were sent 2 renders to queue. both are on local and one with boost rendering checked.
does that mean one will run on local and one will render on through the network?
if yes, why can't it render simultaneously as both are rendering on different machine?

andy
06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Boost renders at the same time with all machines in use at once. So the renders will still process through the queue 1 at a time, but all machines will be utilized at once.