PDA

View Full Version : Move backplate position

andy
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Backplates are good for more than just rendering on top of. I often use them to line up a product to a real-life scene, or to preview what my shot might look like in a print layout.

One issue I've found is I may want my image in one place, but then realize I need to pan the camera over a bit in order to get the correct perspective. But the backplate won't move with it of course. In fact, I can't move the backplate at all.

It would be nice if you could treat the backplate as a texture. Scale it up/down, move it left/right, maybe even rotate it. I probably wouldn't need rotate, but someone might.
Shoot, you could just have a repeating texture of kittens. I won't judge you for it.

I've been working on a brochure for a few products and someone else is working on layout. I'm just taking quick screengrabs from illustrator, then closing illustrator because you can't have that open at the same time as running shot without making your graphics card angry. Then I load those as a backplate and position the camera so my shot will look good. Then I scrap the backplate. That's all I needed it for. But sometimes I find I took the wrong cropping on the screenshot, or I realize I need a bit extra space on one side to get the perspective I want. Currently I have to take a new screengrab each time. Move/scaling would make this process much more time effective.

artem
06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Kittens!!!