PDA

View Full Version : How to: Use displacement with a Rhino file ;)

Aselert
07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

I know that some of you are using Rhinoceros 3D, like me.
With Bunkspeed Pro Suite you can create the displacement (and it's just awesome!!!).
But ... for those who use these two software, when they want to use a displaced material, there is a little problem of mapping compatibility with a Rhino file into Bunkspeed. It create oftenly a peak of memory and finally crash. Indeed, the surfaces are not normalized by UV in Rhino and Pro endlessly try to create the displacement in W (normal direction of the diplacement)...

The reason I ended up finding it!

By default, the Rhino surfaces are not configured to receive complex materials and to remedy to this we must take the following steps:

1. Open your Rhino file
2. Select the object / surface / volume that will have a displaced material
3. Go to "Object properties" (left click on the circle rainbow)
4. In the first menu you have "Object / Material / Texture Mapping", Go "Texture Mapping"
5. Then check "Show advanced UI"
6. Finally click "Add", this will create the Channel 1 , which is recognized by Bunkspeed!

And it's all good! You can save it and open in Pro: the displacement will work :D

You can also pre-set the mapping type wanted: surface, cylinder, box etc.. even if everything will be editable on Pro.

Also an important advice: Work your scene/object in "meter" to have a displacement well proportioned ;)

I hope this help.

See ya!

Nicolas

andy
07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Also, if you haven't tried Rhino 5, then you are missing out.

The coolest feature, and I haven't even seen this anywhere else, is that you can project one model's UV's onto another one. Here's why that's cool. You may have an object made of a bunch of different surfaces. Each NURBS surface has it's own surface UV map by default. Every NURBS surface has 4 edges, each of those edges is the edge of your map. That's the default. If your edge is pinched to zero length, so is that edge of your map.
Ok, so you have your complex, fully detailed model and want an even, lets say label wrapping on it. That's actually the last thing I had to do. You don't want your label to stretch, but some sides are flat. So all of the projection models are out.

In Rhino 5 you can create a more simplified single surface and use that project the UV onto the more complex model. This actually works for polygon models as well. I had a gun shaped object, for the most part, that was brushed metal. I wanted to have the brush pattern follow what it would be in real life. Ha, good luck, right? It wasn't as hard as I thought. I created a much more simplified polygon model in 3dsMax, unwrapped the UV's, which isn't Nearly as difficult on a low poly object. Then I used that simple model to project the UV's onto the original. No seams. It was great. I actually wish 3dsMax had that feature.

The guys at McNeel are awesome. They have even added a few features I suggested in a matter of weeks, AND they gave me scripts only hours later to hold me over until the release. Now That's customer service.

nickster
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Do you have to do the displacement in your modeling software first and then change the parameters in Pro to get the displacement effect like in the grass model/rug instance?
Thanks,

david.randle
07-13-2012, 03:25 AM
No, you apply the displacement map onto the material in Pro. You need to create the displacement (depth) map in another software, such as PixPlant. You will also want the geometry to have nice, even, tight triangles which you would generate in your CAD package.

nickster
07-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks David for teaching me something new again. I mostly use Sketchup for my modeling software which imports easily into pro. Lets say I want to create a rug or a rectangular grass area. Should I make a rectangular cube ( as opposed to just a face/surface) with the thickness of lets say 2 or 3 inches in Sketchup first? Can't one just do the displacement in Pro without the need of a third software like PixPlant? I am going to download PixPlant and find out how to create a displacement map. Thanks again,

andy
07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
There was a free version of pixelplant when it was in beta. I can't remember the name though. It had bump in the name. I feel the same way. I see the value if I did it often, but I rarely need this, so spending more than a few bucks on it isn't worth it.

If you aren't picky, you can find what other people have already created and it will work well enough. If you get at all close to the grass though, it won't look good with just using displacement because all of the blades are perfectly vertical. From far away it looks good though. Also, if you don't see the edges, then use a normal map instead. You'll get nearly the same results in a fraction of the time.

Do a google image search for "displacement grass" and you'll see some examples, as well as some maps you can use to get those results.

And Dave, doesn't displacement usually create additional polygons at render time only, or is bunkspeed only raising/lowering the polygons that are already there in the geometry? That's how you made it sound. So if I want a high resolution displacement with a map that is 1024x1024 tiled 4 times around a cylindar then I have to have at least 4million polygons for the single surface?

david.randle
07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi Nickster - You're not going to be able to generate a well tessellated enough model from Sketchup. The Sketchup importer is optimized for generating light weight geometry which means fewer triangles. Your best bet it to use the geometry that was shared in the other thread and merge it into your model. For future reference, you would only need a plane, not a cube to get the effect you're after.

Also, you don't NEED PixPlant. You just need a 2d image editing program to manipulate an image to generate a depth image to be used as the displacement map. You can do this in photoshop it will just take longer and more knowledge than using a utility such as PixPlant.

If you want to start playing around with the effect of displacement, just download the Official Bunkspeed Material Model.bif from the Community and you can apply it to that. That model is made to show displacement materials well.

david.randle
07-16-2012, 07:11 PM
@ andy - iray subdivides and generates the extra polygons at render time. (which is why changes made to displacement materials take longer to update than regular materials) it subdivides based on the resolution of the map as you point out, so yes, the higher the resolution of the map, more polygons are generated. Also, we have no access to the polygon count generated by displacements so thats why the poly count we display in the HUD doesn't change when you load a displacement.

nickster
07-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi Andy- Thanks much for your advice. I downloaded PixPlant and tried to make sense of it for myself, and made few samples but really don't have the time to mess around with another software. I'll Google for displacement grass and see what I can come up with. Wouldn't it be easier if Bunkspeed had its own ready displacement grass material so one just drag and drop that over a face, just like you do for any other material? I checked all the available materials on the website but couldn't find any displacement grass.

nickster
07-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Your best bet it to use the geometry that was shared in the other thread and merge it into your model

Hi David, is there a name to this shared geometry so I can look for it? Also thanks for clarifying that I only need a surface and not a cube like in some other softwares.

just download the Official Bunkspeed Material Model.bif from the Community

Do you mean there is a ready displacement grass material on the website? I checked all materials and couldn't find a ready displacement grass material. I'll check again. If there is no such ready displacement grass material, it would be nice if bunkspped could add another category like "vegetation" to the materials list and have several displacement grass or other green covering materials. Then again it might already be there and I've spoken too soon as usual.
I'll be going down to Oceanside to visit my sister this coming weekend(Saturday). Would you be working on Saturday and would it be possible to call you at work?
Thanks David as always,

Just watched your webinar on Bunkspeed Pro with the coffee maker. Quite nice and informative. Thanks so much.