PDA

View Full Version : Texture Mapping Problem

Phimy
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I am having problems wrapping textures around cylindrical imported objects. No matter what file format I import for the model or the texture, how I position or repeat this, I am experiencing the same phenomenon. The complete texture file is always repeated (and squashed) in a small patch of the cylinder, covering approximately 5 degrees of the surface. I havenít been able to find any way of hiding or disguising this.
For single renders, I can always rotate the part so that this area is hidden, but this is no use when it comes to creating turntable animations.

I have managed to use decals as a work around, but this can be laborious when an artwork needs to be repeated several times around the circumference and when various options are required quickly.

The only way that I have managed to create a texture completely around a cylinder is by creating a tube model in Bunkspeed and using the UV mapping setting. Even when I change the setting for this type of model to cylindrical mapping, I experience the same problem.

My models are all built in Creo Parametric 2.0 and I have been exporting in OBJ format (setting units as Meters and turning off Auto-Size when importing, as previously suggested here (thanks!)) and have not been using the plug-in as this has created other strange results Ė Iím not sure if the plugin is only meant to work on Creo 1.0 at the moment?

Iím thinking the only solution to this is UV mapping a texture before exporting, but Iím not sure if this is even possible in Creo?

I understand that there may be some sort of programming reason why the renderer has to create a seam area. As Iím placing artworks, rather than complete textures, I wouldnít mind so much if this 5 degree area was blank Ė itís the fact that it repeats the texture here, which looks really ugly!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

andy
08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
That can happen if part of the UV projection cuts through your cylinder, but I've only seen it a couple times, and never in Bunkspeed.
But, that's not to say that isn't what's causing it.

So try out this and see if it helps.
First make sure you set your texture projection to cylinder of course.
Now just increase the scale in width and length, not height (unless you need to do that to make your texture look correct).

What that does is ensures the projection is All projecting in toward the object. If it intersects with your surface the normals may cause a flip in the projection so will project backwards and tile differently.

See if that works. Bunkspeed might not be pulling the correct bounding box from ProE, so you may just have to increase it manually. Doing that in only the two directions won't actually increase the size of the texture, so no worries there. Changing the Height, however, will change the size of your texture.

I'm saying l,w,h because xyz may be different. So assign the correct scale to each one accordingly.

touptitamis
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi, last time we spoke about Pro-E/creo plugin , David answer that the plugin work fine with both version of Creo. Just try it, it's more efficient than convert pro-e file to .obj or .stp.

Actually, with Creo 1.0 M030, I have to "rebuild normal" of eatch part to have a correct model; but I think it's came from Creo version, I will try with the creo 1.0 M040 when I successfully download it.

First of all, try the plugin.

I have a lot of issue with differents customers when I realize export from Pro-E to .obj or .stp. I remenber that with Pro-e wildfire 3 we do .obj model without problems for soft like trucksim; and when we got wildfire 4, there was no way to genertate an compatible .obj. it's Pro-e, the endless generator of problems.

Phimy
08-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Thanks very much for this. I've tried what you have said and am still getting the same results. The attached screenshots illustrate the repeated texture that appears when I switch raytracing on. The cylinder here was created within Bunkspeed, in a new scene, without any imported objects from Creo. I've also tried opening Bunkspeed in CPU mode, Hybrid mode and with Maximus turned on and off - same every time. I've also tried scaling as small and large as I can, leaving height as it is (0.0010, 1.0000, 0.0010) (999999986991104.0000, 1.000, 999999986991104.0000)

Phimy
08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Touptitamus,

The texture mapping problem doesn't seem to be caused by ProE/Creo on this occasion, as I get the same problem with native parts created in Bunkspeed.

I'm currently running Creo 2.0 M010. I played around with the plugin for a while, trying different tesselation settings, units, scales etc and for opaque parts seemed absolutely fine. However, transparent parts had very strange refractions, which I couldn't fix with the IOR or thickness, so when OBJ worked, I gave up on it.

I've just retried it, rebuilding the normals as you've suggested and that seems to have fixed the refraction error, so thanks very much for that! I'm a bit wary about getting into the habit of using the plugin for my workflow (especially as OBJ seems to work well), as I have had some "interesting" results in the past each time PTC has launched a new release or patch! I also don't really see what the benefit of the plugin is, over File>Save As>OBJ?

touptitamis
08-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Hi,
yes, texture problem doesn't seem came from any pro-e problem.

We use shot to make simple picture of what our product would be in production, I usually have to make picture of assembly with almost 50 to 100 parts ( each part's got at least 2 parts in shot, for 1 for rough area and 1 for machined area). So in shot it's gave a huge amont of parts. before pro-e plugin released, a realize step file then import it in shot. It's take over 30 minutes to import it, with pro-e plugin same product ( and same workstation) it's take less than 4-5 minutes ( with tesselation set to 0.2).

That's why I prefere using the pro-e plugin.

andy
08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh hey, you're right.
This has nothing to do with ProE. It's a Bunkspeed bug. I just tested it myself. Something is just wrong with the cylindrical mapping.
I get the same thing. It looks fine in raster mode, but when you switch to render mode you get a small sliver of repeated texture where the seam of the cylinder is.
I tested it on a model created by adding a cylinder right in bunkspeed, then changing it's mode from UV to cylindrical mapping.

Phimy
08-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Touptitamus,

I understand now where the plugin is useful - I'm quite lucky in that my assemblies only usually have about 10 parts!

Andy,

Thanks for checking that. I've still to try installing 2012.5 to see if this fixes/reduces the problem...

Phimy
08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Gah! I was hopeful after reading "Seamless, ray traced box mapping eliminating obvious seams". I've just tried 2012.5 and it's still a problem on cylindrical maps...

Forgot to mention previously - spherical mapping has the same problem.

Phimy
08-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Can anyone suggest a workaround for this? - Other than "hide the seam at the back and don't do turntable animations"! :)

andy
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Do the mapping right in your other 3D software. I think that's the only workaround for now.

Well, a more involved one would be to cut that part in half, and split the layer. You could then texture both individually and make sure the seem is where there is no geometry. You'd have to split your texture in two pieces, then tile it twice as well. Since there is a seam problem, I'm guessing that wouldn't quite line up though. But it might be less noticeable.

That's quite a bit of work though. You might just find out how to texture map in your 3D software. It's quite easy in Rhino, and I don't think it's too difficult in ProE as well, although I think you have to export OBJ in order to keep the texture coordinates in ProE. I'm not sure if STEP keeps texture info. I'm not sure though.

Ventare
08-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Best bet is probably to use the part splitter to cut out the section on the back of the cylinder, and then put a planar projection for its UVs (or just don't texture that part's material). Splitting parts inside the app is pretty painless once you know where to look and what to expect.

Box and planar maps are seamless now (well, planar maps are linear and therefore always seamless), but the other projection methods couldn't get the same treatment for this release. Apologies :)

Phimy
08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
(UV mapping in Pro/E)

Itís something Iíve looked into in the past for exporting files for rendering in Alias Design and Esko Visualizer without much success Ėthe Pro/E help file isnít particularly useful and it seems that most of the Pro/E community are happy with screen dumps of their coloured-in assemblies (ooh, pretty!). The few who do render externally and require uv mapping seem to do this in 3DS Max or translate the files through another piece of software first before importing into their renderer of choice. Seems a bit of a waste of time and money!

I can colour specific surfaces in Pro/E and bring the model into Bunkspeed so that these are seen as separate parts, but this doesnít solve the mapping issue Ė the UV coordinates are all over the place, even with a simple hollow cylinder shape, created as either a revolved line or an extruded circle. Iíve found in the past, that the Pro/E exporters can be a bit flaky though!

Phimy
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for this workaround suggestion Nick - it does exactly what I was looking for. I've attached images of the updated file, showing this solution. I look forward to seeing the seamless cylindrical mapping in release 2012.6 ;)

andy
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Keep in mind that solution will work for you if you have a texture that is plain in that section only. If you were doing something that had a pattern throughout, you would see the seams.

I know the guys around here that use ProE do basic texture mapping in ProE. I think it's done in the appearance settings. If you search YouTube I'm sure you'll find a few things. I still think that is the better solution. I tend to only like to use workarounds when the normal method doesn't work.

Ventare
08-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I look forward to seeing the seamless cylindrical mapping in release 2012.6 ;)

I'll see what I can do. :)

blitz
08-21-2012, 04:28 AM
I'll see what I can do. :)

Is this only going to be a pro or drive feature? ;)

andy
08-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Lmao

david.randle
08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
@ blitz - No.

lightspeed
11-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I was wondering if this ever got fixed. I have a model with cylindrical columns that always seem to map in the center. I thought I saw another post somewhere on this indicating it was an Iray problem.