PDA

View Full Version : Procedural textures and texture channel remapping

systembolaget
11-22-2011, 01:07 PM
would be fantastic. Think of little surface quality errors, a whiff of dust, etc. or anything else to easily modify the squeaky clean looks of renders. Or, being able to remap the texture channel to modify the, let's say, height of a bump map...

andy
11-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I totally agree that they need procedural textures. Especially 3D procedural textures so the only mapping you have to worry about is scale.

Texture channel remapping though? What's that? I'm not sure I follow what you mean by adjusting the height of a bump map. I'm intrigued. Do you mean offsetting it as in a clear coat kind of thing? If so, I have a solution for you on that one and it's easier than you think (requires pro, and probably render in CPU only mode).

For subtle things like bits of dust and fingerprints, you'll be looking for layered shaders. It gets fairly complicated to set up. You're usually better off just adding those in photoshop. For animations you won't get the right affect without a layered shader. Without having those well placed it also won't look too real. You can add those things as decals, but I'd still suggest photoshop instead unless you Really need them in an animation.

I'm interested to know what you mean by texture channel remapping though.

Hansyah
11-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Hello there,
Can anyone help how to simulate paper coffee pads (see picture)?
Thank.

Hansyah
(hipdesigns@hotmail.com)
[IMG]E:\Projecten\001 - Coffee Capsule\versie 90_27jun2011_double inlet_papieren pads\Internet\paper pads.bmp

systembolaget
11-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi, I mean the prehistoric, but really useful functionality in the Alias shader model, where you can basically map any texture channel's parameters with another texture map, and another one, and another (it's a tree structure). When I designed consumer electronics and similar products, it was great to mottle the plastic's erosion texture (which was easily done and easily adjusted with a granular solid procedural texture) in height with a solid fractal encompassing the entire model so you had tiny changes in the surface that just made everything so much more lively. Similar thing with transparency as in PET or ABS PC where you could, via a solid fractal - mapped to the transparency map - easily achieve a bit of cloudyness. Was great for realistic drinks packaging and similar objects. Layered shaders in Shot would also be great for certain tasks, think of a metallic IMD part recessed in textured plastic. This kind of thing was super easy, and logically, achievable in the old Alias shader model, which is now obsolete since one can't render well in that software anymore.

andy
11-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Ah, yes. Another hypershade user.
I was very glad when 3dsMax finally gave a decent visual node-based material editor. Maya was the only one I knew you could actually convert an image into Any 3d space values. That was awesome for distoring textures. But I know what you mean now. Instead of saying bump height, it's nice to be able to give a plain bump map, then another map to control the height of that. Really all that's happening there would be a blend map, since you just need to change the value of the bump map with another. The advantage of what you are saying is the two maps can have 2 different mappings, so one might be over the entire model, where the other tiles several times.

For what you are describing I think we just need to be able to layer more materials/maps on top of each other. Right now the materials are very limiting.