PDA

View Full Version : 2012.5 Importing Broken Geometry

amoncur
08-10-2012, 06:38 AM
I installed 2012.5 and have noticed that importing new models yields broken surfaces once in Bunkspeed (see attached photos with triangular surfaces "broken" out of the curved areas). When I open a pre-2012.5 Bunkspeed file, the model geometry looks fine, it's only importing new models that causes the surface issues. I have tried using the new importer as well as importing directly from within Pro (I'm working with SW 2012 models). David, any idea what is causing this? I've tried about 5 different models and all of them were wonky (yes, that is a word). I can't use Pro until I get this figured out so hopefully it's something silly I'm missing.

Not sure what, if anything, this has to do with the broken surface issue, but I noticed one of the models that imported said it was scaled at 1000x, and another one was scaled at only .001x (or maybe it was .0001x, can't remember now).

The radius feature will not work, either. When I use it, it's as if the edges of my part turn "dirty" (think of an old worn edge that's seen a few too many days outside in a harsh environment....dirty).

bebop
08-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Nasty looking problem. I haven't yet had broken geometry, but I too have noticed issues with scale. I used to have to scale SolidWorks models by 0.1, now it's 0.01. I notice David Randle has mentioned a bug with scaling in one of the other threads. I haven't come across a full explanation of the problem yet. I shall keep trawling the threads!

andy
08-10-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm getting similar results. Also, raster mode looks much worse than render mode for some reason. A bunch of geometry is just plain missing in raster mode, but much of it seems to render fine.

amoncur
08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi Andy, I see the same problem in raster mode as you. Something has definitely changed for the worse with SW imports. Are you seeing the broken geometry on everything you import?

andy
08-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I've only tried Rhino files. I was in a hurry to get my renders done, when are you Not?, so I moved on to a different software. I'll stay there until the new issues are resolved.

touptitamis
08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi, stupid question: i guess you try to select part and click on "rebuild normal" and it doesn't change anything ?

I got the same issue on cylindrical shape than your second picture, and when i rebuild the normal, everything is fine with the model. But I got this on Pro-E import since the 2012.4 version.

:)

romeog
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I have also had this problem with 2012.5 when importing SW 2012 files. I didn't try "rebuilding normals" but was able to import an IGES file cleanly (STEP also had the broken surfaces issue).

All in all, 2012.5 has almost ground my productivity to a halt with Pro. Today: it will not render at all. no raytracing either. Queue doesn't start either.

Argh!

amoncur
08-13-2012, 06:55 PM
romeog, so frustrating - I've been there!

touptitamis, yes, I've tried rebuilding normals (and recreating normals) but it did not fix the issue for me. I've noticed that STEP files seem to import fine (no broken geometry) but for some reason slow down the program, so it's not idea but as a last resort will work for the interim. I've not tried IGES yet, perhaps I'll try that next.

touptitamis
08-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Ok.
Concerning step files, it's depend how you created them. there are several format of step (ap203, ap214,...).I didn't use SW for a while, i didn't remember what is settable.As i remember IGES format build surfaces and not volume like step file.

I've used step file in shot and it's also very slow to import and to work with.I guess iges files are more suitable to bunkspeed product ( because it's only surfaces like many other supported format i.e obj file).

But it's didn't resolve the issue. :(

david.randle
08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi All -

We have identified this issue and will be issuing a fix in a patch very soon.

Thanks