PDA

View Full Version : Transparent - Texture/image/decal

FTA7700
08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi guys, for a several days I have a little challenge here. I want to create lightbox like that one (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/242/717/277/277717242_631.jpg). I made the 3d model as the real box - fluorescent tubes (or some geometry for light) inside and plexiglass/acrylic panel in front (semi-transparent, so the light can pass through it). And adhesive printable folio with something. I can make the material slightly transparent, but can't do it with the image or decal. And if it's completely dark, the image (non transparent at all) is not visible, just dark silhouette. Tryed in several other ways - no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

andy
08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
You wouldn't want to use a decal in this case. Change the object color, and you need to use a translucent material. You'll also get best results if your paper has thickness.

FTA7700
08-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Applied the texture on the emisive directly, the only way it gets closer to reality. I can't get it show correctly if attached to the cover, it's either barely visible or black.

andy
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I thought you could do it with diffusion, but I had the same result. Either the light was Bursting through, or almost none at all.
If you want a realistic look, you could probably fake-bake the lights right into the texture. You can do that easy enough in photoshop, and this way it still puts out light.

Open your texture up in photoshop and change the mode to 32bit. On a new layer paint on where you think the light will be stronger, and then blur the heck out of it. But for the brush use a value of something like 3.0. Change the layer mode to Add. Your image should look sufficiently messed up by now. That's ok though.
Add an exposure adjustment layer just above your main image and raise up the offset color a bit as well, just to make sure it's giving off a bit of light. And if it looked washed out when you changed to 32bit, that's because it changes the gamma to 1.0 instead of 2.2. So you might need to change the gamma there to .4545
If you want to be closer to accurate, make the light ever so slightly yellow so it's not so clean.

Save that as an HDR and load it up. You'll probably have to go back and forth a few times to get what you want, but that should actually give off some light. Add another layer on top with overlay mode with just a touch of noise to give a slightly more paper like look. If you're going for a subway poster they'll use cheaper paper from what I've seen.

FTA7700
08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Good suggestion. I'll have that in mind, next time. Well, thanks for help, man.