PDA

View Full Version : Software updates

bebop
08-16-2012, 03:00 PM
As you may have seen from my earlier posts on the Forum I have been having problems with the 2012.5 update. Indeed, for whatever reason, each time there is a major update I always seem to suffer from whatever bugs get through to the release! It is especially frustrating now because of the auto-update system you have adopted. Previously I could wait until I had got that important project out of the way before I did the update. Now it is forced upon me the next time I run the software. I really would like to see this system changed.

I would like to see the software telling me an update was ready but giving me a rolling option to put it off for a while. If possible, I would also like to see a feature that allowed you to roll back to the previous version of the software if the update did cause problems.

Wouldn't it help everyone if there was some choice in the way the update happened? It is always likely there will be a bug or two. Users could choose to leave it to a quiet time so any bugs don't get in the way of critical work. The update becomes staggered so, if there are bugs, you don't get swamped with help requests through the help desk and forum on a single day. Your help desk will be better able to deal with the problems and not have to resort to sending out semi-irrelevant standard texts as they have done again this time.

I do note from the forum that 'corporate' users do seem to have a different system which allows the old software to be re-installed. Are they still using the old method whereby the whole programme is downloaded and saved?

lightspeed
08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
+1 My previous restore option didn't work either. I'm frustrated that after following the instructions for a reinstall there still seems to be residual files that are causing a problem. I'm with you behop, change the system.

david.randle
08-16-2012, 07:41 PM
As you may have seen from my earlier posts on the Forum I have been having problems with the 2012.5 update. Indeed, for whatever reason, each time there is a major update I always seem to suffer from whatever bugs get through to the release! It is especially frustrating now because of the auto-update system you have adopted. Previously I could wait until I had got that important project out of the way before I did the update. Now it is forced upon me the next time I run the software. I really would like to see this system changed.

I would like to see the software telling me an update was ready but giving me a rolling option to put it off for a while. If possible, I would also like to see a feature that allowed you to roll back to the previous version of the software if the update did cause problems.

Wouldn't it help everyone if there was some choice in the way the update happened? It is always likely there will be a bug or two. Users could choose to leave it to a quiet time so any bugs don't get in the way of critical work. The update becomes staggered so, if there are bugs, you don't get swamped with help requests through the help desk and forum on a single day. Your help desk will be better able to deal with the problems and not have to resort to sending out semi-irrelevant standard texts as they have done again this time.

I do note from the forum that 'corporate' users do seem to have a different system which allows the old software to be re-installed. Are they still using the old method whereby the whole programme is downloaded and saved?

We hear you bebop and are modifying the system to allow you to delay updates in the future. Its also becoming more rare that we have such sweeping changes during . releases. Thanks for the feedback,

Dave

bebop
08-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Dave, thanks for the confirmation about the introduction of delayed updates but are you also able to offer a way to roll back to previous versions if need be?

BurrMan
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Dave, thanks for the confirmation about the introduction of delayed updates but are you also able to offer a way to roll back to previous versions if need be?

Bebop, I do this manually. The icon you use to launch Shot is a "oneclick" icon, that doesnt give you the executable. But when you run it, you can launch task manager and right clcik the process and choose "go to file location". Then you can see the shot executable and create a shortcut to it on your desktop. This shortcut will launch the app without all the "auto this and update that". I always create the 2nd shortcut and call it "direct to shot (whatever version)".

This you can do for moving forward. But to find your previous version, it wont be removed. Just go to the current shot directory like above, then back up one folder level. In there you will see alot of folders, but only a couple with "SHOT" as the second word. So like "bunk..shot_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx. These will be your previous installs. go into those, and launch the shot executable from there, and you will find 2012.4 and such.

Until they change this, you may want to keep the hardlink to the previous install around for awhile..... (new update = crash-crash-crash..... for some of us).

bebop
08-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi Burrman, thanks for all the advice. Nice clear instructions. I have kept a copy of your notes locally and I will adopt this routine until Bunkspeed make the changes they have promised. I did also check for previous versions, but the only one still being held is the original 2012.5. I do seem to have lost 2012.4.

The latest 2012.5 is working better. I am now only getting crashes every couple of hours or so!

blitz
08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I still get crashes everytime I close bunkspeed pro.

lightspeed
08-25-2012, 07:37 AM
+1 My previous restore option didn't work either. I'm frustrated that after following the instructions for a reinstall there still seems to be residual files that are causing a problem. I'm with you behop, change the system.

Decided to post here as well as I think it is relevant. Well as it turns out my problem was a setting in Kaspersky that was hindering the loading of imports. It was identifying Move as a keylogger program. This is a very good reason to change the download method as I'm sure most of us prefer to install while not connected to the internet so we can turn anti-virus off when installing. Also I believe most would rather have all the install files on a backup disk so when a new release is released with issues at least you can reinstall previous version. My restore option in uninstall/repair did not work.

Well after starting my computer back up only some .skp files import while others don't. That's all the free time bunkspeed gets to try and fix 2012.5. Didn't have any problems with Kaspersky in previous release.