PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or displacement don't work in Pro 2012.5.2 ?

Aselert
08-31-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't know why but I can't have a displacement with the lastest version...
It create a crash, a black screen or a just a classic bump :(

Aselert
09-03-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm really alone to have this problem?

Aselert
09-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Finally, it work sometimes... in Rhino files. Very strange!

david.randle
09-03-2012, 11:49 PM
can you send us any files where it it isn't working for you?

Ventare
09-04-2012, 07:59 PM
The error window should have a way to copy the error as well; if you reply with that data it goes a long way to figuring out the specific problem.

Aselert
09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
In fact there is no "error window", but a very strange behavior with a totally unstable situation.
I'll do a series of clear tests to list what I get in each case.

About files I tried on the Material Model, or Rhino files. It is very strange as behavior, it does not look like previous versions.

Quickly, sometimes it works, sometimes it crash the full PC. Or often a white, black or scratchy screen... or sometimes material that becomes transparent...

andy
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
If you have Rhino5, I'd suggest just doing your displacement there. Then you have the ability to control the tessellation a bit more, and can even optimize it afterward. I know it depends on the stage and what you're using it for. I generally only use displacement for a knurl, and only if it's close up. For most anything else I make sure it's modeled. Displacement just demands So much.

Aselert
09-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks to your advice andy, but I haven't Rhino 5 yet. I will update it in few weeks ;)
About the subject, I give a sum-up report:

Firstly, with the previous versions (before I discover the channel 1 in Rhino) Displacement was working only with Bunkspeed files.
After, I discover the tricks with the channel 1 and it worked. Sure Displacement use lot of resource (Memory and Power) but it was stable, even if sometimes it crashed due to a to complex works.
Now, with the last version, it's totally unpredictable. And this is true for Rhino files like Bunkspeed files/models...

I identified 7 types of behavior:

1. It works, take time, but works (rare)
2. It change the material to fully transparent (!?)
3. It change the material to white (!?)
4. It change nothing, even if I refresh textures etc, displacement is working like a classic bump or like no bump (often)
5. It displace just a part of the object, the rest is still like with a classic bump (rarely)
6. It make the viewport black (like the image below, common)
7. It make the viewport scratched (I tried to take a screenshot but it make the PC full locked... Then, big crash, only the start button is working) (frequently)

I have to say that I tried with different kind of objects, files and materials (with "simple" Displacement map), and I never received error message.
It could be a driver issue, but I have the lastest from Nvidia (not the Beta). And to finish, my configuration, on my own computer:

GTX 480, 1,5Gb Vram
Nvidia driver: 301.42
I7 860
16Gb Memory
Win 7 Pro

I haven't try on my "big" triple GTX 580 3Gb but I suppose it will be the same.

yoyo
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
hi, the displacement problem occur on me. when i put a disp. map on, nothing happened. enven the sample sence of bunkspeed.
but sometimes when i create a plane in bunkspeed, it is work. i mean, the displacement map.

Aselert
09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi,

I've uploaded the last version (2012.5.3.7) and some problems are still here...
Globally, it works better than before.

BUT it crash too (I mean big crash, were the manual restart works only...)
It's very strange because sometimes it works without problem, sometimes not.

Maybe, it's because the displacement scale is now huge (!). By example, only a displacement (bump) scale between 0.01 and 0.005 (!!!) is usable... So when by default it's 0.5 or 1, it's like an explosion of the object!

Plus now, Rhino files do not work all the time... and it's the same for some displacement materials :(

So... I tried to understand where does the problem come from, but I don't figure it out.

Aselert
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Ok, I think that the displacement issue comes from the scale, which is really huge now: minimum 10x times bigger, maybe 20-50x, than the old version (Iray 2).
And that's why, I think, it create a big crash (the displacement take all the space, with lots of crazy surfaces).

So, if it's possible, I think it's cleaver to reduce it to a small size, more modest, but that increases gradually at the request. :)

blitz
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
To fix this, maybe the default scale of the displacement map should be determined by the denomination scale of the model being imported. Or perhaps use a relative scale for displacement based on the model size.

Ventare
10-01-2012, 07:14 PM
It probably should use the scale of the model being applied to as the baseline; as you have guessed the scale for displacement is absolute, which is at least consistent.

The difficulty is that materials and texture mapping data is shared over materials, and the same displacement material could be on models with differing scales. It's not an insurmountable problem, but it is not trivial, so it'll have to wait until the next major rev.

There are similar issues with glass-thickness, since it is also world-scale and would be better off locally scaled.

To fix this, maybe the default scale of the displacement map should be determined by the denomination scale of the model being imported. Or perhaps use a relative scale for displacement based on the model size.

Aselert
10-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks Ventare and Blitz ;)

But I found it! I found the problem... and its solution! :p
That's only because I used my "old" materials (created before the "revolution" of Iray 3), and their displacements were not compatible with this last version of Bunkspeed...
Conversely, materials that I created under "iray 3" (Bunkspeed 2012.5 and after) do not work on iray 2 (Bunkspeed 2012.4 and earlier), as I tried in another PC (logical).

Ok, so I will rebuilt my materials and the problem no longer exist!

Another good news? The tricks that I showed with the "Channel" 1 for Rhino files is finish too! It works on any file rhino without this wangle :D

Aselert
10-01-2012, 10:30 PM
But the operation of the Displacement is still a mystery to me: it sometimes takes 2 seconds to create from a complex texture on a complex surface as it may take 10min from a simple texture on a single surface... :confused:

Ventare
10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
The cost of retesselation for displacement is highly variable unfortunately; it depends on both the resolution of the texture and the applied mesh. Is hard to predict.

But the operation of the Displacement is still a mystery to me: it sometimes takes 2 seconds to create from a complex texture on a complex surface as it may take 10min from a simple texture on a single surface... :confused: