PDA

View Full Version : model set grouping

chuckie7413
09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
When we get cad data from a manufacturer we will normally group it to make it more understandable. ie, exterior body object, wheels and interior. Then each wheel has it's own group so we can turn and spin them.

However when trying to import the model from maya to bunkspeed it appears bunkspeed does not show the grouping the same as maya. Instead only grouping by material. I tried all the different settings on import (via fbx) however nothing was giving me the same grouping layout as what I have in maya. Are you able to change the way the model set show the grouping? at the moment it looks like it only does it by material and I cannot select individual geometry parts of my model.

See my screenshots and test model file. Very simple scene just for testing this issue.

Thanks,

Richard

chuckie7413
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
So how are people bringing in models? It seems if you want to have control of every part of the model you need to have individual shaders assigned to each object before importing into bunkspeed in order to manipulate it (transform/material assignment) Is that right?

Thanks,

Richard

andy
09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Yes. From Rhino it is based on either material grouping or layer, since each layer is a different material. This is Not the case from Maya, so you'd need a different material for each object there.
Check the import options though. You Might be able to change the method. I don't have maya on my machine, so am not able to check. You might be able to separate by parts instead of material.

The benefit of having it as material is you could do something like, all paint parts as 1 material come in as 1 part. All glass materials come in as 1 part. All tires - 1 part...etc. Imagine having screws all separated! Bleh! (I've had that, it sucks)

chuckie7413
09-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi Andy,

I tried all the different import grouping options but seems to be a limitation with fbx imports.

Obj does a better job. When importing it does not set up the grouping like maya but gives the parts the maya group names so I can then just regroup everything like in maya and have access to each piece.

We need access to all the pieces that are visible. Normally the cad data is stripped down quite a bit for us already to what is necessary so we are not dealing with every single piece.

Thanks,

Richard

chuckie7413
09-07-2012, 11:27 PM
While trying to do the grouping to the parts in my model, I am finding it not a particularity quick workflow. Let me try and bullet point my issues.

Shortcut to create a group - so always have to right click and then select Create New Group. A shortcut key like Ctrl+G would be nice.

Instantly select New Group after creation - At the moment when you create the new group it dumps it to the bottom of the list and does not automatically select it after creating it. You would have to scroll down to it if a long list.

Group rename - To rename the group I have to change it in the Name attribute in the other panel. I cannot actual click on the name in the list to rename it or even right click the name in the list and select a rename option.

Reordering the set - Does not seem I can reorder anything in the model set list by dragging it up and down the list.

Drag and scrolling - If i have a long part list, I can't drag a part at the top of the list down to a group and the bottom of the list. However I have just seen the right click Move Part's to group option. That is the way I guess.

I think these are just little things that would help speed up workflow. The Model Set list really needs to be more controllable.

Be interested in other peoples opinions in this.

Thanks,

Richard

chuckie7413
09-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Even better would be the ability to actually import the a model and it have the same grouping setup as it was from the imported application (maya/max etc)

Thanks,

Richard