PDA

View Full Version : ink dropper for viewport

andy
09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
This has been in many renderer's I've used. It's quite useful.

Hover that tool over any spot on your scene and it tells you the value. Some of the nicer ones show both standard RGBA as well as floating point of the same to show how everbright something might be.

On a similar note, you could leave some sort of zebra pattern turned on, commonly seen in high end video cameras, that would show me if a section is 100%+ white, and what areas are black. I'd probably exclude the background from that feature though. Rendering on a white background, that could get a bit overwhelming.

ryan
10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
I believe we already have this in our color panel - check it out! You can click and drag the eyedropper anywhere on your viewport (or anywhere on your computer screen) and the color picker will show a zoomed-in preview of the area you're hovering over with a red square in the middle. The color that is inside the red square will then be selected in the color picker - showing its RGB or HSV value.

andy
10-12-2012, 04:56 PM
That's a bit of a workaround isn't it? Also that isn't floating point. If I hover over a light and it shows as 255,255,255 that doesn't give me any information. Showing 1.25,1.25,3 might tell me that it's a Blue light, and not actually white.
But it's nice to know that works offscreen. I can't believe I hadn't tried that.