PDA

View Full Version : Y20035 Pebbled Texture

amoncur
10-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi,

Anyone have a texture that looks like this? I've tried the dotted texture that comes with the BS library, but it's too uniform. You'll notice this patterns is slightly more organic/random.

andy
10-08-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't have one, but I bet if you take that dotted one into photoshop you can probably get what you want with some of the distortion filters at low values.
I was hoping to find a decent hammered metal because you could probably clamp the low end to give you what you want, but I couldn't find a good one on a quick search.

Aselert
10-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Amoncur,

Are you looking for a metallic plate "effect pebble" or a real natural pebble texture?

WorkingImage
10-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi Amoncur,
perhaps,this could help: http://naldzgraphics.net/freebies/30-free-good-quality-leather-textures/

amoncur
10-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the suggestions. It'll be used as a bump map to show small "grip" features on a plastic injection molded handle.

WorkingImage - thanks for the link! I need more of a B/W image, though, so the bumps are crisp....not so much like leather.

andy
10-09-2012, 12:11 PM
For small features like that you'll probably also want it to be tileable. I put something quickly together just to show you how I'd go about it. If it's something small, you'll see the tiles pretty bad if you have anything too noticeably different, so try and keep the distortions minimal, while still getting the variation you need.

I started a file, just to show how I'd go about it, and in no way would I distort it like that. I just wanted to show you how I'd start it and accentuated the effects a bit so you can clearly see what it does. But I'd finish tweaking the setting till I'm happy with the start, rasterize that, then probably use liquify to distort the edges a bit. You can also use that to vary sizes a bit. If you've never liked liquify give it a try anyway. The default settings are just way too high. Turn the rate way down and you'll be much happier with the results. Make the brush nice and big, and make small changes. Use the grow/pinch to vary size.

Once you're done with that, just make it tileable and you're on your way.

I have a blur on there, but you'll probably want to take that off until you're about done.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30098323/dots.psd

amoncur
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Andy, thank you so much for doing this, much appreciated!

blitz
10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
This texture looks very similar to the texture on a basketball. Maybe you can try using that.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=basketball+texture&hl=en&client=safari&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PJJ0ULfKOqH7yAGbnoHgBg&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=480&bih=268#p=0

andy
10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Blitz! I can't believe I didn't think of that. The texture looked so familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Searching for basketball bump map comes up with nearly exactly that texture. It's similar to some synthetic football textures as well (american football).

david.randle
10-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Whoever ends up making this, upload it to the community! Asalert is beating everyone with highest number of uploads so far!!!

amoncur
10-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Sweet! I need another texture for a basketball, anyway! Thanks, everyone.