PDA

View Full Version : new "rollback" issue

BurrMan
10-24-2012, 03:43 AM
I utilized the add/remove programs "rollback" functionality to track down an issue. Although, the software now reports I have the latest version when using the help/show updates option?

Is there a way to force the update again?

david.randle
10-24-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi - No, it will ignore the current product until we send out another auto-update notification. (this is by design). If you want to get current again, you need to uninstall the current version via windows add/remove programs, then download and install the currently available version. If you are using Pro, you will want to stop the Boost and Queue services prior to uninstalling the old version.

I hope this helps

Scott.Young
10-25-2012, 03:29 AM
This is due to the deployment method that we use, which is is ClickOnce. When you "rollback", ClickOnce flags the version you left to prevent the download from happening again. This is by design because they are assuming the version that you left has ... issues. There are a few ways to get back to the current version. The ClickOnce assumption is that the user will just wait for the next release, which will not be flagged as "bad" and thus will download. The other option is to uninstall then re-install. But this method takes more time and is a bit of a pain. The last method involves modifying the registry and even if you are completely comfortable in the Windows Registry, the needed key is based on a random hash value, and not easy to find. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.

I have been investigating a way to work around this "feature" of ClickOnce and re-redownload the newest version, but, as you have noticed, my attempts have not been fruitful. This is on my task list to "fix", but is of low priority because of the fairly easy work around.

BurrMan
10-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the responses. I can wait, as the update wasnt something critical for me. If it was critical, I could do the re-installation. It will be good for future releases to look at a "force" option, as i rolled it back while researching an issue, which ended up not relating to BunkSpeed and now wanted to roll forward again. I think it's best to leave the registry editing out of the forum, and rest it with support, if it's needed.

Thanks again.