PDA

View Full Version : Render Passes: Beauty + Shadow (without shadow showing in beauty)?

amoncur
10-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi All,

Here's what I'm trying to do - in a single render sent to Queue, create the following:

1. Beauty pass without shadow
2. Shadow pass

My problem is when I turn the ground shadow off in the "Scenes" tab, it doesn't get created when doing the shadow pass. But if I turn the ground shadow on, then it's shown in the beauty pass (which I don't want). I'm sure I'm missing something simple here - there has got to be a way of doing this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

david.randle
10-31-2012, 05:09 PM
There is no way to do this in one image. But, you can very easily sent two images to the queue, one of your beauty with the ground shadow off, and one of just the ground shadow pass.

andy
10-31-2012, 06:50 PM
You're not missing anything. There's one other thing you might be missing though. If you don't put a shadow on the floor then any light from the scene just goes ahead and lights the bottom of your product. What I do is create an object with approximately the ground color, turn ground shadows off, and turn my "fake floor" to faded. That way it's not rendered, but you can see it in reflections and it appropriately blocks and bounces light.

If you render them separately you'll get an odd amount of light on the bottom of your product, but Usually the product gets much darker as it gets closer to the ground shadow.

If you're trying to do things with a minimal amount of work I would suggest: Beauty, object (gives the selection without ground shadow), and shadow pass.
Don't forget shadow pass Has to be on multiply in photoshop/afterEffects because bunkspeed renders shadows as values of color instead of values of transparency. I'm not exactly sure why you'd want that, but that's how it is.
You can use the object pass as a mask for the beauty pass. A quick way to do that is load it up as the top layer. Hold Ctrl and click on the RGB thumnail in channels. That will select the white. Now you're done with that layer. You can delete it.
Select your beauty layer and just add a quick mask. Done. If you do that often, make an action. It definitely speeds it up.

amoncur
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Andy, great suggestion - that's what I'll do. Thank you.

David - I find it's when I'm changing anything but the camera view that my Queue files tend to fail, so I'm trying to stay away from changing settings between sending files to Queue.

david.randle
10-31-2012, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=David - I find it's when I'm changing anything but the camera view that my Queue files tend to fail, so I'm trying to stay away from changing settings between sending files to Queue.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make much sense. What fails about it? the job doesn't send to the queue? the job itself fails? Need more info here please

amoncur
10-31-2012, 11:58 PM
The jobs send to Queue fine, but once there they'll fail to actually render. Usually around 15% of jobs fail in my Queue when I've changed many settings between the jobs (e.g. moved a joint, showed a light, hidden a part, etc)