PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Max plugin opens 2012.3 version of Pro

haknslash
11-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I have an issue it seems with the Bunkspeed 3DS Max plugin. When I use the plugin it opens Shot Pro in version 2012.3. When I open Shot Pro by itself then it opens in the latest release 2012.5.4.8.

The issue is that metal flake materials did not exist in 2012.3 build :(

Anyone else able to replicate this? I even downloaded the plugin again this morning thinking maybe I had an old one but it still shows version 1.0 when you download and install it.

andy
11-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I never understood that particular plugin. If you are already doing most everything in Max, why not just use iRay in max? Especially if you are using metal flake where you have control of size, spread, strength, and color individually. Oh, and being able to render on every computer in the building (even if the computer is pretty terrible it'll still get a couple frames of an animation done) is also an added bonus.

I haven't tried it though. What does the plug give you?

david.randle
11-28-2012, 06:18 PM
haknslash - This is probably only an issue because you still have the 2012.3 version installed on your machine. Unless you need the old version for a very specific reason, why not just uninstall the old versions? Then the plugin should find the latest installed version of our product.

andy - i'd like to know how someone could ever sit through the pain of setting up a material, or deal with lighting setup in Max when they have a product like ours sitting right next to it. That's the purpose of the plugin....
Also, have you successfully used the network rendering through iray in Max or is your statement theoretical?

haknslash
11-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I never understood that particular plugin. If you are already doing most everything in Max, why not just use iRay in max? Especially if you are using metal flake where you have control of size, spread, strength, and color individually. Oh, and being able to render on every computer in the building (even if the computer is pretty terrible it'll still get a couple frames of an animation done) is also an added bonus.

I haven't tried it though. What does the plug give you?

Yea Max gives total control but when I need to bang something out its easier and faster to create materials in Bunkspeed.

The plugin exports directly into Shot as an OBJ file. It works great but for whatever reason it opens as a previous release.

If you have some free time, can you try it out and see if it does the same for you? http://www.bunkspeed.com/community/plugins

haknslash
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
haknslash - This is probably only an issue because you still have the 2012.3 version installed on your machine. Unless you need the old version for a very specific reason, why not just uninstall the old versions? Then the plugin should find the latest installed version of our product.

Hey David. As far as I'm aware I do not have the previous release of Shot. I have always upgraded with the automatic update prompt. I have always noticed it uninstalls the previous version and installs the new one as I can see all of my Suite components uninstall during the process.

jlowap
11-29-2012, 07:35 AM
andy - i'd like to know how someone could ever sit through the pain of setting up a material, or deal with lighting setup in Max when they have a product like ours sitting right next to it.

Hehe! :D I have MAX and Shot..... would NEVER dream of going through the 'pain' of rendering in MAX now :) orrrrrr... Maybe I'm just rubbish at it!