PDA

View Full Version : Partially Transparent Semi

scampbel
12-20-2012, 03:54 PM

Our marketing group needs me to re-create this image. The vendor we were working with is gone and we now have to do it internally.

The file exists in 3DS MAX although I don't have a lot of experience with that software. Can Bunkspeed make partially transparent bodies like what is shown in this image? I imagine this comes up as a common request from car companies so I hope its something I can tackle.

I will have 3DS max available to use for 90 days is BS can't do it. Whats the best tool to do this type of image?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Steve Campbell

artem
12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi Steve,

You can accomplish this using the materials. There are two ways. First you can use a plain grey image in alpha to make some your materials transparent. Or second, you can use the Generic material category and play around with the Transparency Color. I personally would try the grey image in the alpha first and just tweak that shade of grey until you get the result you want.

Keep us updated, very interesting project.

Good Luck,
Artem.

scampbel
12-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Ignoring all the other parts and focusing on the truck CAB only. you are saying I can make 1 PART partially translucent.

artem
12-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Right, so in Max, assign each part a specific material with different colors. Look up some tutorials, should be pretty easy. After that export as .obj and import it into BS. Once there, you will have separate parts that you can assign different materials too and set custom transparency either using the alpha channel with a grey image or using the Generic materials. Questions?

scampbel
12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I am following no problem until "set custom transparency either using the alpha channel with a grey image or using the Generic materials." I haven't played with translucency that much or grey images... I assume grey images would be one of the "passes"? I will look for a tutorial, you think you could make a generic material that has this property in it?

I'll try and get more familiar.... At first I thought I needed the back side of the truck solid and the front half translucent.... or does it look like it is all the same transperency

artem
12-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I've attached an example project. (You have to unzip it)

If you look under the materials tab, there are two materials. One is just red and the other is white but has an alpha map of grey color. That alpha map is where the magic is at. The "blacker" the alpha image, the more transparent your material will become.

artem
12-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I would say the whole outer shall has transparency.