PDA

View Full Version : Scotch on the rocks

haknslash
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
I was bored on lunch break so I whipped up a model using Inventor and Mudbox (super easy ice cubes). Mainly wanted to play with latest version of BS and iray.

I was under the impression that caustics and light dispersion were now possible with iray 3.0 or is that in what they are calling "iray 2013 or iray next"?

After rendering I noticed I forgot to add a slight fillet to the scotch fluid (doh!). The two renders show different settings of IOR and thickness of the crystal material and its effect.

david.randle
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Hey - The new caustic settings and dispersive caustics are not part of the 2012.6 release. They were always intended for our 2013 release.

Really nice models though! and BTW: you will still get caustics if you have a physical plane below your model (which it looks like you do).

Happy New year and Cheers!

haknslash
01-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi David and thanks.

Yea I used a primitive plane and wood material with reflectivity increased but I didn't see any caustics. Using two lights off the side of the scene to illuminate to try and get some caustics to come thru but am I missing something?

Really looking forward to the 2013 release. Sounds like its going to be great! Any idea on ETA if you can release such info?

Hope you guys had a great holidays as well :)

david.randle
01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
I can throw a date out there but the reality with software is that the date will be wrong. We are looking at end of Q1 this year roughly.