PDA

View Full Version : image you can spin and scroll through animations

scampbel
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Ok, please tell me we are going to get the same functionality as this!!!!!

http://www.keyshot.com/vr/ (Click on any image and once it loads you can spin it etc)

david.randle
01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
yes, but you can do this by yourself now....there are several utilities, probably some of which that are free that let you composite image sequences into a VR.

scampbel
01-18-2013, 04:03 AM
I know david can't say but anyone else know of some of these utilities are?

artem
01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
PTGui is what I use now and it works great. Do a search, there's a whole thread on here about panoramas.

andy
01-18-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure PTgui does the same thing. What he's asking for isn't actually a panorama. Panorama's connect a bunch of images where a camera in the center rotates only on a single axis. To view a product you are taking images on a single axis from all possible angles, then rotating the camera around. As the camera rotates around the object, a different image is created. You can actually make full virtual panorama with as little as shots, 1 shot if the software allows for a spherical lense, like vray does.

For a virtual product there are a Ton of renders needed. To make it seem smooth you'll want at least 1 shot every 15 degrees of rotation at whatever your angle is. So lets say you allow for 60 degrees of virtical movement around the product, which is fair. That's 4 levels at 15deg each. Now you need 23 shots (no need to repeat the first shot or you'll get a stutter) to complete the circle. Multiply that by how ever many rows you want, and that brings you to 96 renders. At a reasonable quality you'd be looking at what, 10 minutes per render? I think that's a decent average. So it'll take about 16 hours to render this example. Where the same panorama would only take 1 hour.

VRworx can do this with a decent GUI, although it hasn't been updated in a Long time. I'm sure there's a much better one available now. There have been a few other ones, but run on flash, so are basically worthless to the world. If I had to find one now, I'd make sure it runs on html5 and/or java so it could be run on any browser (except maybe that crazy blue e).
VRworx doesn't work well on 64bit because it's quicktimeVR based, which doesn't Really support windows on 64bit. Or at least it didn't use to. I haven't looked into that for a while, so don't take my word for it.

Creating that is pretty easy programming, so I'd be surprised if there weren't a few newer ones somewhere around. The hardest part is planning the arrangement of all the images, so for programming, it's making an understandable GUI for helping the user decide how to do it.

A good one also would allow for less images around the sphere as longitude increases. The sphere is smaller at the top and bottom, so wouldn't need as many images to cover the product. It wouldn't be as smooth, but you could save a Ton of render time by doing that. And who really needs to rotate around the top of a product anyway!?!

artem
01-18-2013, 07:35 PM
PtGUI allows you to take a bunch of random overlapping renders and stitch them together into one panaramic image that then you can use a simple program like Pano2VR to create your VR. I've been on this path and this works well.

haknslash
02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I must say that's pretty impressive. I could see our sales guys going nuts for this. It would be sweet if BS would adopt this if the demand is there of course. It's good there is a workflow mentioned for doing this as I will have to give it a try!

I played around with a similar VR but was more 'interactive' with the use of a printed marker and controlling the model in real time. This was with Autodesk products but the technology exists outside of there. They just happened to release this plugin briefly in Showcase. Wished it was still active as my sales team loved the concept. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYSMxtaGwg&sns=em

haknslash
02-14-2013, 01:25 PM
David,

Are there any plans in the future to incorportate something like what KeyshotVR is offering? We are wanting to add something like this for our product lines on our website sicne it runs on HTML5 and doesn't require an additional plug-in to work. As it sits now I'm going to download a trial of Keyshot just so I can play with the VR. I would really like to see Bunkspeed take advantage of something like this since it is a great marketing tool. I don't care to have to buy Keyshot basic + the VR ($2000) but I wouldn't mind paying for a Bunkspeed VR add-on to my Pro license ;)

david.randle
02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
We are working on this functionality now. Should be ready for next release. We have yet to determine if it will be included in Pro or be an add on.

scampbel
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
I know it isn't up to me but since KS4 is out and there is things like live linking between CAD and Render etc you'll want to include this to keep the competitive edge. I am glad you are keeping an eye on the market and responding with equivalent technology.

-Steve Campbell

manifre
03-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi David,
I would be very interested by this "VR" PRO Add-on with an easy HTML5 integration. Hope you will be able to offer it soon !
Please keep us informed about progress.
BR,

FREDERIC

david.randle
03-07-2013, 04:47 PM
It is complete. Expect it in the 2013 version of Pro and Drive. We also can produce Panoramas :-)

haknslash
03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks David and the guys at Bunkspeed for including this!! :D