PDA

View Full Version : In need GPU wisdom

chinogam
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Hey guys..I'm about to put together a workstation. I first need to decide which graphic processor to get. I'm looking at the Quadros (4000, 5000, K5000) right now but my lack of knowledge makes me doubt. Is there anything out there that would work better with PRO Suite? (assuming 16GB RAM, processor and all components up to a professional standard).

Thanks in advance for any information on this subject!

Cheers,

Juan.

andy
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
need more info:
1. budget
2. what other components are you getting?
3. what is your plan for a box? Are you buying a preconfigured Big name brand, or building yourself?
4. how many slots are available, and at what speeds? One thing to note there is many, if not most, computers will have enough pci express slots for 4 cards, but usually only 2 of them will fit in 16x slots.

For the same budget I'd recommend multiple gamer cards over a single Quadro. And actually, if you just set the money aside, you can get 2 gamer cards Now, then get 2 next gen gamer cards next year for Less money than a single high end quadro.

HamdiR
02-14-2013, 11:31 AM
check the benchmarks we collected in this page (http://forum.bunkspeed.com/showthread.php?514-Any-news-on-Kepler-rendering-yet/page8) it will help you make the call

chinogam
02-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm planning on having the workstation built, this is what I was thinking about:

Micro Intel I7 - 3770
Mother Asus P8H77-M
RAM GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2x4Gb 1600MHz
Hard Drives:
- SSD Sandisk Extreme Solid 120Gb
- SATA WD 1TB

Opinions are very much welcome and appreciated.

Perhaps with this info it's easier to make the decision about graphics processors and the remaining components.

Thanks again,

chinogam.

andy
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Well, that's a bit of a small workstation. I'd probably just call that a desktop computer. You'll need to find out how much room you have with the other components and case. A video card will be the biggest thing in your computer, so find out which one will fit in your box. Most of the smaller boxes also don't have much for ventilation. Remember these boxes can get hot when rendering. You want to keep the card under it's recommended temp or it will slow down.

JohnG
02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
You'll struggle with just 8Gb of RAM, you should really have at least twice that as a minimum. The offline renderer devours system RAM (even in GPU only mode), especially if you're doing reasonably larger renders 4K+
I've seen it grab 7Gb+ of RAM when rendering. The one thing you can do to give yourself a better Bunkspeed experience is add lots of RAM and VRAM.

chinogam
02-19-2013, 04:37 AM
Thanks John. Double the RAM. Got it.

I'm still struggling over the graphic card (or cards) and the power supply to go with that.

david.randle
02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
chinogam - you may want to hold out a few weeks. Nvidia announced the GTX Titan today which packs the same power as a Tesla K20 (the fastest Kepler chip) and 6GB VRAM for under $1000....this is a ridiculous good price/performance card.

chinogam
02-20-2013, 04:10 AM
David, thanks for the tip!

Will do so.

Talk soon,

Juan.