PDA

View Full Version : Specifying which GPU to use in a 2 card system.

bobo
02-09-2013, 04:32 PM
There was a smiler question posted before, but was not replied to.....

I have 2 GPU cards in my system, a 3GB GTX660 ti and an old GTX 260, which Bunkspeed also makes use of when rendering.

Is there a way of telling the software not to use this card for rendering ? I ask this as I also use iRay in 3ds Max and you can specify which cards to use for GPU rendering.
In my case I use the older card just for the viewport display, as it it actually hinders the performance of the 660 in rendering. I get the feeling this might be the case with Bunkspeed as well as it has considerably less memory than the 660.

thanks.

andy
02-10-2013, 10:45 PM
This is something I really hope they add. I haven't seen an option. I bet there's a way to do it through editing some hidden xml file somewhere though.

bobo
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes, I'd like to know, as I think my slower card is actually causing problems in more complex scenes, I've had a few lock-ups.

artem
02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
If you open up your NVIDIA control panel, in 3D Management, you can select which card supplies the CUDAs. That might be the same as using one card?

bobo
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks for that. Seems to work. The Nvidia cpanel does indeed allow you to select which programs make use of which gpu. Now I can see from my hardware monitor there is no load on the slower card's gpu while rendering.

JohnG
02-11-2013, 02:38 PM
This was answered before by Nick Gebbie at Bunkspeed, I've posted his method below.

It works fine, with a couple of caveats, firstly it only works if you do an inline render, if you render in the background Bunkspeed will use all your GPU's no matter what you set in the nVidia driver settings, at least that's my experience.
Secondly if you update Bunkspeed you'll have to repeat the process. Other than that it works fine and can specify which GPU Bunkspeed uses for rendering.

CUDA controls are in the driver settings; Open the NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings, and modify CUDA - GPUs.

If you don't want to do this globally you can make a specific set of settings for your selected Bunkspeed Application. Note that if you use the autoupdating version (non corporate installer) that when it updates the program changes, so the settings would need to be reassigned to the new app file.

For the per-program settings, go to the Program settings tab on the right panel in the Manage 3D Settings, then click Add. This'll ask you for the path to the executable for bunkspeed. One way to get this is to run Bunkspeed, then open up the Task Manager, switch to Processes tab, find the Bunkspeed process (sort by name to make it easier), right click it, and select 'Open File Location'. This should open an explorer window with the exe selected. An easy way to copy the full path of the exe is to SHIFT-Right Click the exe, and select 'Copy as Path'. (Copy as path only shows if you SHIFT right click).
-Nick Gebbie
Bunkspeed

blitz
02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I wonder if you set a profile for use of one CUDA device for the "offlinerenderer.exe" file if that will work.

JohnG
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Never thought of that, will give it a try.

david.randle
02-12-2013, 12:37 AM
FYI, Maximus which is available for Quadro/Geforce cards lets you assign GPU's to particular applications as well as create profiles for which apps use which configuration. Infact, i believe JohnG's post references a Quadro/Tesla Driver not a GeForce driver.

Correct me if i'm wrong please as we don't installed GeForce in our office.

andy
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I think if he had enough money for 2 quadro cards, he could probably just by a second 660 to avoid this problem.....or 8 of them or so.

bobo
02-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Thats something I will probably end up doing, but for now the above solution seems to work. Adding OfflineRenderer.exe to the GPU exclude list seems to work as well.

haknslash
02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
FYI, Maximus which is available for Quadro/Geforce cards lets you assign GPU's to particular applications as well as create profiles for which apps use which configuration. Infact, i believe JohnG's post references a Quadro/Tesla Driver not a GeForce driver.

Correct me if i'm wrong please as we don't installed GeForce in our office.

+1

That is how I have my rig setup. My Tesla and 4000 provide the CUDA/GPU resources for Bunkspeed and other applications while I use my 600 to handle running Cintiq tablet duties and additional monitors.

REQUIRED COMPONENTS TO ENABLE MAXIMUS TECHNOLOGY
Following is a list of the critical components needed for a Maximus-enabled workstation:

At least one NVIDIA Quadro 600, 2000, 4000, 5000, or 6000 graphics card (for computation and graphics).
At least one NVIDIA Tesla C2075 card (for computation).
A compatible professional NVIDIA software driver.
Microsoft Windows 7—64 bit
A host chassis from a qualified OEM with space for the Quadro and Tesla cards and the capacity to support the power demands.

Here is the Builders Guide for using Maximus http://www.nvidia.com/content/quadro/maximus/DI-06471-001_v01.pdf
You will need the Maximus Utility to configure your GPUs. You can download it here http://www.nvidia.com/object/maximus.html

andy
02-14-2013, 06:00 PM
We just purchased separate machines for running cintiq work. It's actually less money, and you don't have issues with wacom drivers running 2 monitors.
That's Not for everyone, but I thought I'd throw it out there for those that hadn't thought of that yet. That's usually not very feasible in a corporate environment, especially if IT is outsourced.