PDA

View Full Version : Fps

Jay325
02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, quick question for you.

I have my raytrace set to blend with a resolution of 960x540 and a single model of a piece of frosted glass on the set and it's showing Im getting a FPS of about 3.1!! Does this seem right for a system running 3 3GB gtx580s???? Honestly I feel like since the last bunk update I've not been getting the same performance for some reason?

Thoughts?

JohnG
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the FPS are dependent on the complexity of the scene, materials, lighting, etc. I generally don't pay too much attention to the FPS, I'm more interested in how long the render takes for a given number of passes.
I have a project open right now which has a real time resolution of 1087x720 and I'm getting approx 9.5 FPS in Blend mode, and that's with a single 4GB 670. I think maybe the frosted glass is a complex material and that's slowing things down.

david.randle
02-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Jay - Couple questions:

1. after how many passes are you measuring the FPS?
2. Do you have Tools > Options > 3D Viewport > Realtime Options > Image Filtering Turned on or off?
3. how many FPS do you get in the same scenario if you have only a solid cube in the scene?

Frosted glass is a technical material that will consume more energy to resolve than other material type but we need a basis for comparison against other files/scenes/materials to determine what could be happening.

Talk soon

Jay325
02-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Dave

I opened a new project and imported a cube from the projects folder, I added the white porcelain and watched it to 1000 passes. After the first 120 passes the fps falls to between 12-13.4 with the resolution on 960x540 and again in blend mode. And my image filtering has the box checked so I believe it is on David. Also worth noting, I dropped the frosted glass in this same scene and get 11.6 fps after the first 120 frames.

Maybe this is all normal it's just seems slower to me for some reason?

david.randle
02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Yeah, frosted glass has up to a 50% - 60% hit on FPS. That's normal. Its a simple material visually but mathematically, quite difficult to solve. It doesn't sound like anything is severely out of ordinary for you.