PDA

View Full Version : changing visibility of parts

krk1
03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Is there any way to change the visibility of parts aside from hiding them or changing their materials? I mean making some of them barely visible, faded, translucent -- that kind of thing.

I have a large assembly of mechanical parts (imagine like the transmission of a car) and I would like, for presentation purposes, to be able to highlight certain parts at a time by having them fully visible while almost, but not entirely, hiding all the other parts in the assembly. I basically mean setting the visibility of parts to 20% or something like that.

It would be very valuable because you could see internal parts yet still have a good sense of the overall package.

Is there a way to do this?

david.randle
03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
hi krk1 - This is only possible via the generic material type. Because iray is physically based, you can't make a part partially see through. this has been requested a few times so we are looking into possibilities in the future.

florsignol
04-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Would making a basic transparent material with an index of refraction of 1 do the trick (no reflection, no refraction)? This transparent material could be mixed with your existing material, i.e. if you want to get a transparent metal or textured material.