PDA

View Full Version : Render "Save Iterations"

haknslash
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to implement some sort of save iteration process for doing long renders?

I had a job rendering in the background all night earlier this week. Came into work the next morning hoping I wouldn't see a crashed Bunkspeed but no such luck :(. I have no idea at what pass the software crashed obviously but let's say it made it to 75% or more before crashing and the image would of been fairly complete in terms of noise. It would be nice to have a feature that would create saves during certain percentages in the render process, just in case the software does indeed crash. Similar to how you get a ton of files (frames) when doing an animation but let it overwrite the saved iteration file on a render over and over until it's finished rendering. At least that way you wouldn't of lost all those hours. Just a thought and maybe something like this already exists but I haven't seen it.

david.randle
05-03-2013, 06:53 PM
The problem with this request is that most times the render dies is due to memory. Converting the buffer to disk also takes a lot of memory...therefore....if you're already on the edge of memory, enough so to cause the renderer to die, then there is likely not enough memory to save the buffer to disk.

So, although this would be nice....there isn't really a magical way to make this happen currently.

Hope this helps understand.

Thanks

haknslash
05-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I see. 64 GB here I come LOL